Game box art challenge?

Pretty sure it’s “Hero in the Middle” style with the red logo on top (not red horns) from:

Zak McKraken I think. Or however he spells it.

You are 100% correct. I mean, I’m not speaking for anymunym, but it’s clear. With the latest update, I was frantically looking at funny adventure games I’d played, because my brain was telling me that’s what it was. I just hadn’t gotten that far back yet. Curses!

DMC Devil May Cry?

I said “no horns”.

That is correct.

With a “c”:

Next up:

R-Type?

Phantasy Star. Please!

Well that was quick.

I love how it inverts the standard fantasy armor. The woman in full armor, the guy in the chainmail bikini.

I think this is sadly only the matter of a poorly chosen palette, as his pyjam suit was supposed to be light red. (see → Odin Sphere’s Mercedes. And the Phantasy Star character name in the West was Odin. Coincidence!!!1) With the skin colour so similar, it is true it looks like the artist was venturing into Pumping Iron territory though. Doesn’t substract anything from Alissa’s resplendence though <3

Please bear with me for the following one. It displays both the front and back covers. The front cover is to the right - maybe a hint?

Second bout:

I tried to cheat – I thought I recognized the artist, so I looked up games that he’d done the box art for. But I was wrong. Plus, um, bump.

Actually, that might be the best way to get it: the artist is very unique, so much his name is even featured on the game’s box.

So that’s why I thought it was Judge Dress, eh?

(I have no idea what game it is, though?

Yeah maybe this wasn’t such a good idea…

There’s a sword and a futuristic cityscape SO CONFUSED

That made me think Phantasy Star or Ultimate 1 or 2 (don’t remember which one went to space), but it obviously isn’t either of those. I have no clue.

Grandia something/

As a great Japanese author put it:

This is the Japanese cover to Phantasy Star II, illustrated by Yoneda Hitoshi.

That’s the best thing to come off the Japanese version actually, as the drum sample used for its soundtrack was obnoxiously loud - something that was thankfully addressed in the American version.
Wonderful and crazy game, whose innumerable story twists were to be plagiarized by Square, one at a time, to fuel their later Final Fantasy games in the 90s - before they moved on to copying Dragon Quest V ;)

Wow. Elf legs. Wow.