Game box art challenge?

I remember how absolutely perplexing it was that they made Quake 3 a multiplayer-only game. Why would I pay for that? (Turned out I didn’t pay for it, but still ended up playing a pretty good amount of Q3 multiplayer as it became our lunchtime deathmatch game at work.)

Walden?

Very nice! Got it in one.

And no, sadly I haven’t installed it yet. But I will!

I love that cover by the way. So many triple-A game covers these days are just so generic and not memorable. You really have to go to the indie space to find good modern game covers.

Oh wow! Figured it could be a lot of things, but it did evoke Walden immediately.

GREAT game, by the way. I know I’ve already touted it a bunch around here and I’m still probably the only one who played it, but it is absolutely still recommended.

New box!

Cyberpunk 2077?

No! Maybe I’ve discovered the secret inspiration for that Cyberpunk yellow…

That lower left thingy looks like maybe a reflection of a castle tower/wall in a moat…maybe. So is it Stronghold?

Not Stronghold!

More!

No? A third reveal, then?

Interplay? I bet I’m familiar with this box! But it just doesn’t ring a bell so far.

Kingpin?

Castles?

It is Castles! Had to pussyfoot around both the giant freaking CASTLE on the box and the giant word CASTLES. Which made it a fun challenge.

In my book, this game is a classic, the kind of vibing building game I can always sink many many hours into.

New box:

Snowrunner

This screams late 80s Amigaing. Speedball?

Well spotted! Although the box happens to be for an Atari ST version, but I think it’s the same art.

I would have bought the game… if it had been available on my CPC (I actually played it for the first time then on my friend’s Atari ST, and it looked and sounded absolutely incredible to me).
I thus immediately bought the next best thing: