Game journalism backlash - the microcosm theory

I’d say the majority of the people I work with that are mid-40’s on down play some games. Again, I don’t know if they’d call themselves “gamers” because that seems to have a particular connotation, but that appears somewhat beside the point when they still spend a chunk of any given day playing a game or two (… often when they’re supposed to be working).

Amongst my peers, the term “gamer” still overwhelmingly refers to board and pen & paper RPG gaming. To most of my friends if you JUST play computer games you aren’t a “real” gamer, and of course you can be a gamer without ever touching a computer. We are all 40+ though, and so that was really the gaming environment we all grew up in, far more than computer games.

Honestly, producers absolutely don’t need to play games. In fact, I’m happier when they don’t, because it means they’ll be far, far less likely to try and impinge on the role of the lead designer. They should have some coding knowledge, though…

(That’s for normal definitions of producer as “schedule manager”)

Twitter CEO: “We suck at dealing with abuse and trolls”

We suck at dealing with abuse and trolls on the platform and we’ve sucked at it for years. It’s no secret and the rest of the world talks about it every day. We lose core user after core user by not addressing simple trolling issues that they face every day.

I’m frankly ashamed of how poorly we’ve dealt with this issue during my tenure as CEO. It’s absurd. There’s no excuse for it. I take full responsibility for not being more aggressive on this front. It’s nobody else’s fault but mine, and it’s embarrassing.

We’re going to start kicking these people off right and left and making sure that when they issue their ridiculous attacks, nobody hears them. Everybody on the leadership team knows this is vital.

Let me be very very clear about my response here. I take PERSONAL responsibility for our failure to deal with this as a company. I thought i did that in my note, so let me reiterate what I said, which is that I take personal responsibility for this. I specifically said “It’s nobody’s fault but mine”

We HAVE to be able to tell each other the truth, and the truth that everybody in the world knows is that we have not effectively dealt with this problem even remotely to the degree we should have by now, and that’s on me and nobody else. So now we’re going to fix it, and I’m going to take full responsibility for making sure that the people working night and day on this have the resources they need to address the issue, that there are clear lines of responsibility and accountability, and that we don’t equivocate in our decisions and choices.

Reluctantly, I guess this is the proper thread for this. Twitter CEO: We Suck at Handling Abuse

[Twitter CEO Costolo:] “I’m frankly ashamed of how poorly we’ve dealt with this issue during my tenure as CEO. It’s absurd. There’s no excuse for it. I take full responsibility for not being more aggressive on this front. It’s nobody’s fault but mine, and it’s embarrassing.”

Costolo went on to say that Twitter is going to take swift and severe actions against abusers and harassers going forward. “We’re going to start kicking these people off right and left and making sure that when they issue their ridiculous attacks, nobody hears them.”

Of course they’re going to suck at it. For them not to suck at it, they’d have to make Twitter a lot more inconvenient to use, and then they’d lose mpre legitimate users.

Harassment sucks and harassers should be named and shamed ,but sometimes there’s little that can be done that isn’t worse than the disease.

I agree, I don’t think there’s anything Twitter can do about this. A lot of people suck, so a lot of twitter sucks.

At the end of the day, technology can’t fix people problems. People need to fix people problems.

One suggestion I saw was accounts verified using IDs would be able to only interact with verified accounts.

You pretty much have two networks at that point, but if you are going to venture unmasked in the world of the anonymous you know what you are in for, whereas those that want to lose the security of anonymity have some form of protection.

Of course, data protection issues, and even things such as verifying 180ish countries government issued photo IDs (anyone want to tell me the difference between a legit and fake Moldovan ID?) is daunting and record keeping, even without restrictions in certain jurisdictions in making copies etc of passports not being possible in some jurisdictions. KYC is expensive. The day rate for mid level KYC analysts in the financial industries is hitting four figures these days, even light touch non regulated business is going to be expensive.

Edit: ok, thinking about it you can set up your KYC unit in the Philippines or the like, but its still going to generate a cost per user that might be over the revenue generated per user if you go down the verified user route.

Honestly, there are times you might want to prove your ID online or some aspect of your ID. (For instance, to prove “I am British”)

And governments should provide that for their citizens.

Not quite the same thing, though.

This seemed the most appropriate thread, being the semi-catch-all politically charged journalism thread and tying into the above Twitter talk.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/feb/05/coca-cola-makeithappy-gakwer-mein-coke-hitler

Gawker creates a Twitter bot to sabotage Coke’s current PR campaign and makes it tweet out Mein Kampf, then claims innocence when called out on it by Coke.

Oh Gawker.

Yeah, that’s more of a bad on Gawker than Coke. I mean, I get what they were doing - showing that Coke’s campaign hinged on a bot that didn’t really care what people tweeted to it, but it’s a dick move anyway. I thought Coke’s response was great.

Trolling is bad, unless its Gawker doing it.
Racism is bad, unless its Gawker doing it.
Leaking celebrity nudes is bad, unless its Gawker doing it

etc

What a sordid little rag.

Gawker delenda est.

LOOOOOOL

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Good luck on destroying it with the immense market power of “unpopular and bitter losers”, dude. Operation Protect Our #Brands in full effect. Send those emails, send those emails. Your side may not have the numbers or the education, but the justness of your cause will overcome those. Right?

The Daily Mail and The Sun are sordid little rags, and everyone would agree. You say the same about Gawker and someone leaps to their defence, guess you really must love clickbait and gossip.

Quite. It’s popular, but sleaze has always sold well.

Yeah, the whole thing is just a tech version of the type of daft publicity stunt The Sun is famous for.

Oh, and talking about clickbait, how about this Guardian article from today, classic stuff, peak Guardian.

“We should ban urinals as they are oppressive tools of the patriarchy”

Standing privilege.

I still don’t understand what “clickbait” means in the #GamerGate sense. Like how they’ve shifted “narrative” to mean “anything I disagree with”, it seems like clickbait also means “anything I disagree with”.

Trolling #brands is not sleazy or sordid. Unless those words are also going through a meaning transition.

Like this, working through some steps, I think pwk here is so immensely myopic he thinks that anyone who writes an article he personally disagrees with does so to troll him personally, and get hate clicks. As if enraging cretins is the business model of The Guardian, and also every college course on every subject.

CONSIDER for a moment, though, the alternative possibility. Maybe some people aren’t bitter resentment-fueled manbabies.