Game Making Tools

Sweet, thanks for the update. It’s always fun to see how graphics problems are solved in extreme low resolution situations…

Any experience with it?

I’ve never used it but I’ve read good things. Godot is so good with 2D that I’m not super compelled to try.

Yeah it looks a bit like a cut-down Godot

Here’s a fun little hex tileset (free) from Kenney.nl

Thanks for the tip! Those are pretty sweet and would totally work for prototyping one game idea I’ve been toying around with.

https://sheepolution.com/blog/gamedev/how-i-made-a-game-played-in-notepad/

Heh reminds me of this:

edit: Oh the guy was actually inspired by the ‘Notepad’ game :D

That’s a good shout, @scharmers, thanks.

Not quite what I’m looking for but I guess wizards could be spaceships if they wanted to, right?

Here’s a Godot Engine game for the Switch

I’ve tried to get my kid to learn Gamemaker Studio now for 2 months …with the virus keeping everyone at home, it’s the perfect time to make games. I bought him a Udemy tutorial that is excellent and even though he says he wants to be a game producer, I told him if he would just do the tutorial, he could make a quick game and get it on the APP Store as a start to his “dream.” “Sorry, dad, I’m too lazy to learn to code” OMG.

Just remind him that “lazy” and “successful game producer” are mutually exclusive.

Pretty cool:

GameMaker Studio 2 is on sale until July 9. If you absolutely despise free quality game engines like Godot, maybe blowing a wad of cash on GM2 will help make your day.

The GameMaker Studio 2 Summer Sale is here! Grab some of the following 25% off deals on GameMaker Studio 2 licences:

• GameMaker Studio 2 Creator: $29 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop: $74 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 Web: $110 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 Mobile: $145 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 UWP: $145 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 PS4: $595 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 Xbox One: $595 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch: $595 USD
  • GameMaker Studio 2 Ultimate: $1,100 USD

Offers ends July 9th .

Probably there’s a better thread for this but I can’t find it.

Opened source for a well-respected game:

Humble Bundle has a good $1 tier for an online course about game math.

I’m sure you could find a lot of math stuff on youtube put the presentation here is solid and they’re tackling it specifically from a game development point of view.

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone can make me a recommendation to help me realise my dream game that I have had in my head for a decade.

I am looking for something that can do something quite simple in the easiest way possible: basically the game screen in my head is a map broken up into tiles, and I want functionality to be able to drag and drop stuff between parts of the map using the mouse. Of course I also want other screens which have buttons and present strings, numbers, and images.

That’s it really, no animation needed beyond the dragging/dropping, no video, no 3d models. Of course, behind the game will be alot of equations and scripts that I am happy to program. From my work I am well versed in Python and C#, but I really don’t have the free time to learn frameworks to set up GUIs and the map game screen I mentioned above. A couple of years ago I tried to do all this in Unity and unless I was doing something wrong it just ended up too hard to get the dragging/dropping working properly (I did have it semi-functional).

I did take a look at Godot from the above posts, is this the thing for me?

Thanks for your help!