Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

But didn’t you look up while driving just at the crescendo to see lightning bolt flash on the horizon, showing your worried face?

Sword & Sworcery and Frozen Synapse advance.

What are you talking about? It never said Furi! And the Discourse polls certainly don’t randomly reorder the results from how they are entered.

Talking? As you can clearly see above, i’ve never said anything at all. That was just a misclick, pay it no mind.

Everybody agrees with everybody. All is well!

I demand a recount. There were some hanging chads in the Sword and Sworcery voting. I will oversee the recount and I am in no way biased.

Sure, here you go. Glad we all agree.

We’re down to 4 remaining tracks, and it’s time for the semifinals!

@Papageno: Nex Machina - Dark Shivers ()

vs.

@Gordon_Cameron: Outcast - Shamazaar Theme (World of Temples) (Composed by Lennie Moore; performed by Moscow Symphony Orchestra and choir)

• Nex Machina
  • Outcast

0 voters

Literally this spam call came into the office, at my desk, right now. Done as if by order! Like 1 minute ago!

For real? That’s crazy.

@JonRowe which track would you have chosen from S&S EP out of curiosity? And what about @Left_Empty seeing as you gave me dibs! There are so many great tracks on there!

So many great tracks, like Unknowable Geometry

or Lone Star

or And We Got Older

But my personal favorite would be The Cloud

I knew this day would come. Such a hard choice this time, I’ve rooted for both of these tracks, for different reasons. And I feel like Outcast is slightly handicapped here since it is a longer theme that takes a while to build. It isn’t instant, driving beat. But it is such a lovingly lifting theme, I never played the game but I can imagine that point you reach when you’ve accomplished the final goal and your people rejoice, your civilization now ensured for all eternity. If it were a movie it would be an Indiana Jones theme when he finally views that sacred artifact, the first to do so in thousands of years.

How can you vote against that? But I love Dark Shivers. This decision sucks.

That’s one picture that would soon benefit the “obsolete technologies to reminisce about” thread.

I’ve been surprised by the outpouring for Unknowable Geometry over the years because it’s always seemed terribly dull to me, even as a fan of slow building pieces! I’ve kept expecting it to click at some point and, while others have, it just… hasn’t.

The Cloud is a(nother) favourite though; it’s just beautiful. You’ll not get me arguing with the others either! :-) I nearly selected The Ballad of the Space Babies too.

So much great stuff on the Sword & Sworcery score, but I think Prettiest Weed was definitely the right choice to represent the whole work. Those bombastic drums are so archetypal of Guthrie’s work (I might be influenced by some of his non-S&S work). I also think a track that’s too ambient would have a harder time in this competition.

I think I’m rooting for a different track, ultimately, but I would be delighted if Prettiest Weed took the prize!

Remember, back in the time before time, when there were easy choices, and clear distinctions between worthy and unworthy tracks? Those were good times! These are good times, too, because who can resist the drama of the Thunderdome? But I haven’t had much to say for quite a while, because there are only so many ways to lament a choice no one should have to make.

That said, I’m pretty thrilled that Sword & Sworcery has made it so far. I think The Prettiest Weed is one of my favorites in the Dome, but then again, that’s exactly the kind of choice I was just lamenting above.

Outcast advances to the finals!

Match 30:

@geggis: Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP - The Prettiest Weed (By Jim Guthrie)

vs.

@Soren_Hoglund: Frozen Synapse - A Functioning God (by Nervous Testpilot)

• Sword & Sworcery
  • Frozen Synapse

0 voters

Dare I suggest that when we have a winner and runner-up, we pit them against the winner (Skyrim) and runner-up (Brigador) of the first Thunderdome?

Frozen Synapse getting crushed!

D:

That happened to Nex Machina at first, too, and it did catch up a bit later. But not enough!

Possibly, though my thought would be to wait until we’ve completed 4 or 8 Thunderdomes before running a champions’ bracket. Of course, that depends on whether people want to keep these going that long.