Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Cool. I guess this was recorded shortly before Daglish died?

Yeah, I only came across it after listening to the Last Ninja cover above where it was mentioned in the comments after his death. I’m guessing it wasn’t long ago because the series is relatively new.

Aha:

I hope I’m not too off-the-wall, but this is where the search function brought me…

I wanted to glow up the Distance soundtrack, a bit. It’s one of the rare cases where listening to the OST first caused me to investigate and eventually dive in to the game. The setting is racing psychological horror. If a dark part of your subconscious ever wondered what it would be like to go 180 MPH down I-95, ignoring any safety buckets and “road closed” signs…

Enough about that, though. The music provides an appropriate industrial, ambient-techno-dance canvas, informed by biopunk. Some tracks sound like they could have been lifted from a 90’s Nine Inch Nails B-sides CD. I’d like to run a marathon to this, someday.

There is also this random thing…

Not played the game, but will give the soundtrack a spin. Sounds up my alley. That cabinet is very cool too.

I miss the game music thunderdome!

I guess it has been a couple of years. I don’t want to commit to organizing and running another one right now, but might when work calms down a bit (or if someone else wants to pick up the torch you have my blessing).

In the meantime, might I suggest this alternative for your daily-voting-on-music needs? It’s not specific to game music, but if you hurry, you can go nominate some Metal Gear Solid songs for James Bond and pretend.

The Theme Song Thunderdome - Books, comics, TV, music - Quarter To Three Forums

I had hoped to take up the Thunderdome mantle a while back, but balked at the amount of work it would entail. :(

Between Gordon’s shield/sword, your croco-chainsaw and my cannon, I’m sure we could take this. It had been a consideration for me too but I’ve not arranged tournaments before so I buckled.

The big question is, if we do go ahead as a fellowship of the 'dome: were there any snags with the scoring/elimination process last time? Did anything seem unfair or off? I don’t think so but it was a while back now.

And do we mix it up and go covers or just original tunes? I’m still all about the original tunes and think covers can come later.

Yeah, looking back it actually wasn’t too bad. I think I was remembering the first one, which was more laborious because I was tabulating, copy-pasting individual links, updating the bracket, etc. by hand every round.

For the second one I got smarter, and had you all fill in your sign-ups through a shared spreadsheet rather than me combing through posts and grabbing links. Then I copied that into a new sheet, randomized it, and set up some formulas so every day’s entries were automatically pre-formatted and ready to paste here with their accompanying polls, and the post for the round barely took any time at all.

Qt3 Game Music Thunderdome 2 Signup - Google Sheets

Qt3 Game Music Thunderdome 2 Runtime - Google Sheets

Unfortunately I can’t take on any of this right now. I’m at an unprecedented low ebb of free time. But I’m rooting for you guys!

The big problem with this is I’d have to choose between awesome originals and awesome covers. That will hurt me, krok. That said, I’m excited at what we’ll potentially hear so…

A few notes scrolling through the entire thread (which was pretty fun actually!):

• Switched to 5 point scoring system early.
  • @Nightgaunt suggested a 'dome of 'domes at some point in the future :-)
  • Updated rules: Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome - #169 by Thraeg
  • The wildcard ‘overflow’ system was a good way of catching tracks that scored highly in high scoring rounds but missed out – The Prettiest Weed made it to the final on that.
  • Haha. The thunderdome doesn’t fuck about.