Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Haha, I’d love to find out. I intended to include more older classics but I just couldn’t get excited by some of them in the same way as various newer tracks.

If anyone needs any last minute suggestions, since I’ve used my slots, MGS5 in addition to a fantastic licensed soundtrack has some great originals too.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to give up lurking and subject everyone else to my musical preferences. So if you’re willing to put up with a newcomer, I’ll add my submissions to the list.

More than willing; welcome rossbob!

In fact there are few ways better for a newcomer to introduce themselves.

I think I’m out this time around. Summer is just too busy for me to keep up. Have fun!

@Thraeg what’s the cut-off, end of day today, or have I already missed it? No big deal if I have, but I might throw a couple nominations in if I’ve still got a few hours.

I’ll cut off soon, so if you want to make changes, do it in the next hour or so.

Okay, don’t wait for me then, wouldn’t have time to get to it until later tonight. I’ll save for round 3 (or if there isn’t a round 3, I’ll just rightly assume they would’ve all won round 2).

And we’re off! I’m going to run the group stage out of Sheets since there didn’t seem to be a Challonge option that matched the structure. You can see the results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ezECH5UEZLVWgAsVGIJ1nXGGlM9oLl1SQdRGqQZP6r4/edit?usp=sharing . Please take a quick look at your tracks there and let me know if I broke anything during randomizing.

Remember, this time in the group stage, you are just giving each track a rating from 1-10 (edit: now 1-5) – no need to compare it to any other tracks just yet.

Here are today’s nominations:

Group A

@enidigm: Dragon’s Dogma - Into Free (by B’z)

0 voters

@Papageno: Headlander - Procession of the White Queen ()

0 voters

@Gordon_Cameron: Outcast - Shamazaar Theme (World of Temples) (Composed by Lennie Moore; performed by Moscow Symphony Orchestra and choir)

0 voters

@lordkosc: The Flame in the Flood - The Flame in the Flood (Composed by Chuck Ragan)

0 voters

As always, discussion and banter is welcome, but feel free to PM me your vote if you want it to be anonymous. Have fun, all!

@wumpus, there’s no way to incorporate images into a numeric poll, is there? I looked at https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-create-polls/77548 and it showed being able to embed a thumbnail as part of a single/multiple choice entry, but the syntax didn’t work to add the boxart as a thumbnail in the rating poll.

Oh, and I should mention that since we have a total of 88 nominations, there are 22 groups. As a reminder, each group winner will advance to the single-elimination bracket, and there are 10 wild-card slots for the highest-ranked tracks that do not win their groups.

Thanks again for doing this, @Thraeg!

Yeah I think I’d prefer a 5 point system here, 10 seems a bit much.

Hmm, that’s fair. I had gone with 10 to make ties a bit less likely, but I can switch it to 5 if that’s easier to rate.

We really only need the 7–9 choices, right?

Edit: duh, krayzkrok already made this observation, sorry!

I thought it was “7=crap, 8=average, 9=why not 10 you fucking M$ fanboi”

Maybe not, but you could do a general poll that is de-facto numeric, where all the choices are numbers.

what about the confusing JRPG rankings?

D C B A S (<)

My thought was that everyone can rate however they feel comfortable, and as long as you are consistent with your own ratings, it shouldn’t matter if an 8 from you means exactly the same as an 8 from someone else.

I’ve closed the polls for now. Anyone else want to chime in on scale preference? So far we have a couple preferences for 5-point and none for 10-point, so I’ll probably switch to 5 if nobody prefers 10.