Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

5 point here. I think that’s sufficiently granular to allow the averages to be reasonably meaningful.

I think 5 is good. 10 seems a little too granular. Like, I don’t know what the difference is between 2 and 3, even for my own ratings.

That wouldn’t really help for this use case (where I just wanted a bit of extra visual flavoring for the whole poll, and it wouldn’t make sense to have the boxart be votable or attached to one number instead of the others.) Not a big deal, though; thanks for confirming.

Okay, sounds like we’ve got a consensus. I’ll redo the polls on the 1-5 scale.

Can we have a 5 star system? :)

Please just give me a Like button for each song!

(Just goofing! I’m looking forward to the new round!)

My preference would be a 5 point system as well.

The Flame in the Flood track is unavailable here: here is an alternative to what I think was linked

I didn’t expect Headlander’s soundtrack to be this inspired.

I thought that I’d modified the link here upthread, but I must have forgotten to do it with the link in the spreadsheet which I assume is what @Thraeg used. Sorry about that. I can fix it if the spreadsheet is still modifiable.

I PMd @Thraeg

I like the 5 scale because it leaves the individual freedom to apply either of those systems.

That Headlander tune reminds me of Wendy Carlos’s synth arrangement of the Queen Mary Funeral Music by Henry Purcell, which opens A Clockwork Orange.

Yeah, it’s clearly an influence. The whole OST is great with all kinds of influences. Even if I never play the game the 10 bucks I spent were worth it just for the soundtrack.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I first thought of A Clockwork Orange then remembered Revenge of the Titans’ menu music used Purcell’s Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary as well. That said, I wasn’t so enamoured by the HeadLander piece compared to the others here.

The B’z track was… whoa. What a blast of… what is this? J-pop rock? At first I found it overwrought but with repeated listens warmed to it a lot.

I only played the Outcast demo back in the day (our computer wasn’t really up to it) but daaaaaayme: that music. Insta-5 from me. What a beautiful piece.

The Flame in the Flood I have played and while country isn’t usually my bag, over the course of the game Chuck Ragan’s anxiety-inducing gravelly vocals (seriously, I just want him to cough. Just once.) really won me over. The title track just fits the game perfectly and I love the way the violin and slide guitar weave in and out of each other, like the waterways in the game. Disappointed to see how low it’s scoring!

Hear hear on the piece from Outcast. Next time the old game goes on übersale on GOG I’m grabbing it just for the tunes.
I rated that one and the Headlander piece 5, the Flame and the Flood song 4, and the other one 3. It’s OK but doesn’t move me.

EDIT: And now I have to go fire up Revenge of the Titans again.

Group A remains open for a few more hours (currently in a close race between Headlander and Outcast).

Here’s Group B:

@rossbob: Final Fantasy XIV - Ultima (by Masayoshi Soken)

0 voters

@rossbob: Dwarf Fortress - Dwarf Fortress Theme (by Tarn Adams)

0 voters

@geggis: Super Hexagon - Focus (By Niamh Houston aka Chipzel)

0 voters

@soondifferent: Mass Effect 2 - The End Run (Sorry for all the Mass Effects. Travelling tomorrow so out of time to put more thought. I should have nominated this instead of Grunt last round, so here goes. Mass Effect 2 OST deserves all the chances!)

0 voters

Truly, the Thunderdome is a harsh mistress. Two great tracks put head-to-head before their time, and also some stuff I nominated. This deserves careful consideration…

Wow, I loved the FF XIV track up there. Middle-eastern influences galore: reminds me in the fast part of the PoP: Sands of Time music.

For the record I’ve never played a Final Fantasy game either. I didn’t even watch the video: pro tip for those unaware. On Android at least, if you install Firefox on your phone, go to youtube there, paste in the URL and request the desktop site, you can turn off your phone’s screen and the music will keep playing. The YouTube apps should really offer an “audio-only” option like the Twitch ones do, IMHO, but this is the next best thing.

Yeah, I thought about doing manual adjustments to avoid having two of the same person’s nominations together (@CraigM has one coming up too), but decided to leave the sorting purely random. But on the bright side, you only have to beat two other tracks to get one of yours into the elimination stage.

Nah, it’s cool. RNJesus is tough, but fair

Boy, do I love that Outcast score. And when it came out in 1999? Mind-boggling. Glad Gordon nominated it.

Headlander was a nice surprise. I heard the influence of Vangelis. I wanted it to go somewhere—that was my only complaint.

As for round 2: In the whole last Thunderdome, none of the Final Fantasy tracks ever really did anything for me. But this one? Hatchi-mamma! So huge!

On the flip side, sorry to anyone who really loves it, but the Mass Effect score continues to feel kinda dull and predictable to me.