Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

@Enidigm your entry caught me by surprise. I was racking my mind to figure out why it sounded so familiar.

Turns out it’s Tak Matsumoto, and I just didn’t pay attention to the artist name.

A suggestion for the spreadsheet, I’d move Group to the first column as that’s going to be interest to everyone looking at the sheet. Just more quickly readable that way IMO.

Also a bit late now, but I thought no repeats? Why is No One Lives Forever Main Them in there again when it was in the first Thunderdome?

I believe the ruling on that was no repeats as long as they made it to a certain point in a previous Dome (so something knocked out in the first round could come back in a later run).

Personally, any repeats at all are highly questionable in my eyes, but such is life. Not sure why anyone would expect a song knocked out at the very beginning to make it any farther a second time (though I believe this time it’s the vocalless version).

Yeah. I said nothing that made the top 32 was eligible. The thought process there is that if your nominee got knocked out in the first round by the eventual winner, but you really think it would have gone far without that bad luck, you can try again.

I’m on mobile right now, but please reread the OP and let me know if anything is still unclear.

Ohhh! This one skittered across my mind at some point and I forgot to add it to my long list so I’m glad to see/hear it here!

Yeah I remember futzing around with this during the last 'dome and found it a little unwieldy and sometimes when the screen was off it would stop buffering the track.

For this 'dome Google just released YouTube Music which allows you to listen to audio-only YouTube with the screen off… but I couldn’t find a way of opening the embedded videos in it. Tapping the video name opens the Complete Action Using window but the default apps list doesn’t include YouTube Music and there’s no way of adding to/changing the list, at least I couldn’t find an easy way of doing it. What a pain. So I’m back to Firefox or just ravaging my battery. Another thing: YouTube Music doesn’t give you access to the same videos as YouTube. Some are simply ‘unavailable’.

In @Gordon_Cameron I trust! I’ve not played anything he’s nominated for the 'dome so far but really enjoyed most of his selections.

That’s not a bad idea. Wouldn’t mind checking the original out too. Not sure how Second Contact stacks up!

I haven’t played Revenge of the Titans for a long time but I remember getting stuck on… Saturn? Great tower defence/RTS.

This track is particularly turgid. Wait for Samara!

BTW I discovered that you don’t even have to request the desktop site in Android Firefox. Just paste the link* into the mobile site and go.

*From the arrow icon on the upper right of the videos here.

Ah, excellent. Will try that out tomorrow.

In my own personal tastes I’ve always found the original had the best soundtrack. So atmospheric space opera. Reminded me of Vangelis.

Re: Outcast, I don’t believe that the music is any different in the Second Contact version, but from what I can tell on GOG only the old version comes with the soundtrack as an extra.

Those are also my favorite in the second game’s soundtrack. I dislike the bombast tracks as much as I love the atmospheric layers of synths — I like the Frecnh word for it: “nappe”, which is the word used when covering a cake with a layer of chocolate; the image seems perfect!

I must admit my preference goes to music that can i run to :) in that regard the Mass Effect 2 track is kind of a remix of “Suicide Mission” that is the base song, which i bought from iTunes used to run to for months, so obviously 5 from me!

Yeah, the original always had much more atmosphere and identity to me compared to the sequel.

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.

No worries, I know it’s a bit wall of text, and probably should have reposted the voting rules as a reminder once voting started. In fact, here they are again:

Group A Results:

• Headlander: 3.59
  • Outcast: 3.59
  • The Flame in the Flood: 3.32
  • Dragon’s Dogma: 3.14

We have a tie for first between Headlander and Outcast. (I told you people we needed more granularity!). These two are now in sudden death. Anyone who hasn’t voted on them yet can break the tie by posting a choice between them. If nobody comes forward in the next 24 hours, I’ll flip a coin.

Granularity? Peh! Sudden death is what is fitting to the Thunderdome.

Much to my chagrin, I’ll vote for the Outcast track to proceed.

NO WHY-WHY?!

more granularity please.

Didn’t you already vote, though?