Game of the Month - August 2020

What has been your primary game this past month? It could have been a recent title, a new discovery, or something from your backlog. Or perhaps an old favorite you returned to years later? Honorable mentions are also welcome, these would be other games that you enjoyed this past month, but not the one you spent the most time enjoying.

For August my game of the month is:

• Horizon Zero Dawn - amazing world, wonderful main character, and really great stealth combat.

Honorable mentions:

• Endzone : A World Apart - This is a pretty damn good city builder/resource management/survival game.
    Seems a bit easier than Frostpunk, which is a good thing imho.
  • RiME - A walking/exploration/light puzzle game, very relaxing so far.
  • Antihero - Picked this back up with a vengeance, have 12 games going right now.

What game defined August 2020 for you? What was your Game of the Month?

I traveled back in time to the old chestnut Victoria 2. Which a few of you may have noticed I’m in the midst of an ARR as the Ottomans. Quite enjoyable.

Fall Guys. It’s so adorably silly.

Close seconds:

• Control - bonus points for that area near the end.
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I also enjoyed Knack and the first parts of Nioh.

For me, it was more Bloody Rally Show along with Star Fleet II, which has now become my new, all-time favorite game. Coming in third is Horizon Zero Dawn, which is just an amazing open world experience.

Easy - I played one of the best games I have ever experienced, Outer Wilds.

I guess I’d have to say Spititfarer? Though I played through all of Carrion, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Touryst, and got some great time in on Grounded and Sea of Thieves in with a friend I don’t get to (Covid) see much of, I think that’ll stay with me the longest, wonky pacing and all. I’m into Anthem now and having a good time.

Secret of the Silver Blades

Dynasty Warriors something, the good one, the one I bought on PC years ago and on Switch last month.

Congratulations on your find!

Outer Wilds. One of my best gaming experiences and one I will remember for a long time.

Runner up (and September game of the month, I suspect): Horizon: Zero Dawn. I’ve only gotten started (up to first bandit camp), but I love what I have seen so far. The latest patch seems to have helped with crashes too, so time to dive deeper.

Same here, nearly finished it and hardly finish any games as I get easily distracted. This game is ace.

How does one play it? Abandonware only?

Yeah I’m very excited about it!

Well you can get an older version through abandonware sites, but it’s now back under active development, and a ton has been added and fixed just in the past several months. We do need more playtesters to help us bring it to Steam and GOG, if you’re interested. ;)

This month didn’t have a clear winner for me, unlike the previous months. The one game that captured a lot more of my time than I imagined it would was Chronicon, an excelent RPG I had a great time playing, so I’ll go for that one.

I also played a lot of Horizon: Zero Dawn, Spiritfarer, and Factorio.

September will probably be like that, too. Lots of great games coming, opening with the excellent Crusader Kings 3. But there’s also games like Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, Star Renegades and Ostranauts, and DLC for Total War Three Kingdoms, and DLC for Control that just came out, so it should be a busy month, if all goes well. ;)

Pathfinder: Kingmaker easily. I bounced off it originally despite BG2 being my favorite RPG of all time, but the turn-based mode even with a few bugs is like a whole new game. It’s not perfect, and it’s certainly not BG2, but it’s a ton of fun and pretty much just what I was in the mood for.

Yeah, I started a new game with turn-based and first impressions are fantastic! Looking forward to playing more.

Woah. Pathfinder is going turn-based? Might be worth looking into the game now. I really can’t stand Real Time with Pause.

Maybe once I’m done with Wasteland 3. That probably wins my Game of the Month even though it came out so late in the month, and I’m only at the start. It’s been a while that I felt absorbed by a game.

Yeah, we’ve been talking about it in the thread.

Some smart guy wrote thus:

Fallout 4. Its been sitting in my backlog pile for a long time, kept hearing it isn’t that good so I had no desire. I’m really enjoying it ! I’m the type of person that loves to explore and am not picky about story. This game delivers for my play style.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen
Every year I put a couple more hours into this one. I always love the time I spend with it, but eventually I’ll get to some quest that will involve a bunch of walking and I’ll never start the game back up when I want to play something “now,” and it will just sit there neglected because I’m too lazy to start it up and do the walking part.

But last month I put a whole bunch more hours into it and, once again, had a blast. I’m still in the first 1/3 of the game, too, so I have a lot ahead of me. But hey, I think I’m actually gonna push through and finish the game this time!

Forza Horizon 3 & 4:
Man oh man I drove a lot this month. I split my time equally between these two because I picked up 4 on sale, and I’m glad I did.

Approaching Infinity:
Steam says I played this for 15 hours so it belongs on this list. 15 hours was enough for me, so on to the next game.