Game of Thrones (HBO)

I thought that might be the name, but I doubted my memory because I thought Cersei would have vetoed it, not having been all that fond of her late husband.

Arya is either going to see through this plot or just leave Winterfell to kill Cersei. If she leaves her story will not end well.

You people aren’t talking about the best part of the episode.

-Tormund.
Did you bring the big woman?

And there it was, an event of such great import it was nestled neatly between meticulous records of window, step, and defecation counts!

If she had been part the RPG Pug, mag seven group… would have been awesome. She’d kick ass.

Amen brother.

The worst part of last night was the Jaime/Bronn river stuff. So fucking stupid. Super high value target dude in full plate gets knocked into the water and then comes up with no one around. What in the actual fuck? They aren’t looking for Jaime? How long was he under the water? That is just so fucking lazy from a plot/writing perspective.

In general I don’t know why the season was shortened. This could have easily been a 10 episode season. And then the last season is just 6 episodes? Why? All of the reunion scenes are way too short.

I understand why stuff is moving at breakneck speed, should actually be a little slower, a bit more detail, all this teleporting and various ex machina’s moving the plot along, yeah, not ideal, but maybe they’re trying to give room for the book version.

The general guidelines the series will show, but do it very fast, light on the details, let Martin do his thing eventually on the books?

I doubt there’ll be much overlap between TV resolution & book resolution (assuming we ever get it of course!). GRRM has said he considers the TV show fan fiction now, and thats probably not just a thoughtless comment.

Yes but at least the fan fiction writers have a work ethic.

He’s never going to release another book in this series. The show is the conclusion.

That’s my guess too. I roll my eyes a little harder every time someone trots out Martin’s quote about “fan fiction”.

Every now and then, someone goes off about this. Another writer (sometimes Scalzi) writes a blog post about how “such and such a writer isn’t your bitch.” Which to a certain degree, I can understand.

That said, at least a 7 year wait between volumes is crazyness.

I mean I say that without any malice, but Martin won’t finish the books. Scalzi may be right, I absolutely feel no entitlement to the creative output of an artist, but I also can be honest and realistic about those authors too.

If Martin were to come out today and say he has lost interest in finishing the books and will no longer work on them? I would be disappointed, but would respect the honesty. Sadly the internet would probably be less forgiving generally.

I don’t either. But I also think writing a series that has a clear start and finish is a contract with reader: you will get hooked into this world I have created, and I will finish the story. Naturally, life events may conspire against this: the writer could die even with a decent production schedule, a family member could get sick, etc.

Writers who produce yearly thrillers I don’t feel this obligation with since the tale by its nature is almost never-ending. But people who liked the books, didn’t want to watch the series, and are now left hanging I think have a point.

He’s already said this, in his GRRM way. Read between the lines. When he knows where a story is going he loses interest in it. Game of Thrones has been completed by HBO. He doesn’t want to or need to finish it.

this season’s runtime is more like 8 full episodes (it has the runtime of 8 average episodes from previous seasons). So it’s shortened, but not so much (the last episode is 80 to 90 minutes long -we don’t know yet the exact runtime).

They are also on record that season 8 might be the longest season (but of course this might not come to pass since they have not shot yet). The showrunners said than going by script lengths, there might be more than one +2 hours episodes in the last season.

It’s all pretty weird.

I do think the 6th book will at some point be released. But I also expect that to be the last book released and that GRRM will never finish off the series. Time is not on his side and he seems to be unable to work on these books.

It doesn’t matter if Jon or Dany have first “legitimate” claim to the throne.

The targaryans married brother to sister for 300 years. So they’d share the throne anyway.

My prediction for wight capture: somehow one of their own party becomes the wight. By process of elimination it has to be the drunk brotherhood guy.

It matters a lot more for the books, though, where Aegon Targaryen is currently in control of the Stormlands. Even if he’s actually the boy they say he is, this would make him illegitimate (the marriage was annulled, not just ended). It makes me wonder if they are going to bring him into the show now. They referenced the Golden Company being hired by Cersei, It’s entirely possible they bring in Aegon and Jon Connington, Cersei marries Aegon, and that it’s only Gilly’s news that makes Jon realize he should take the throne.

Also, I wonder if the dagger used to belong to Lyanna Stark…