Games for a fresh father

So my Girl is two weeks old and as expected there is pretty much no time for anything except an hour here or there. I have spend these watching Netflix’s Series or playing some X-Com and X-Com2. Both have great length for shorter sessions as I can do one or two missions in an hour. Turn based is also great as I can just get up and leave if need be. I tried some CIV but turns there feel more “urgent” and I have a harder time picking back up where I left off. And it is the “just one more turn” problem of CIV that has cost me a bit too much sleep. Xcom on easier settings also doesn’t tax the tired brain too much. So my question is: Anyone any other suggestions for short burst turn based games to play ? I am open to look into pretty much any game but prefer ones on the easier side of the spectrum as I can’t really devote much time to learn complex systems.

Hey, I will be in this situation in about 2 weeks (give or take), so please gents, do give us advise.

Been where you are going, first year is relatively easy, but time consuming rpgs are going to be a tough cookie, you need stuff you can walk away from or burst play, I liked Warthunder, good short fights to scratch itch. It also keeps you awake unlike any civ game when your tired.

There are tons of these types of games, warthunder is just my example.

Anything multiplayer is right out for me sadly as I feel shitty if I have to leave mid match.

Creeper world games have missions that take 15 - 40m and can be paused an saved at anytime.

I played a ton of Bit Trip Runner 2 and Spelunky when my kids were born. BTR2 is a lot of fun and has a gradual challenge curve. Other platformers, like Rayman Legends, Ori and the Blind Forest, Steamworld Dig 2, etc. These are all games that are easy to learn. Games that are hard to learn are super tough to get into with kids.

The first year is much easier than years 2-4, when they will appear out of nowhere and demand to play as soon as you sit down. The good thing about the games above is that they can watch you play them. We had a “no screen time at all” rule until they were 2 (harder for the 2nd child). Starting around age 2-2.5 both my daughter’s sat on my lap and began playing BTR2 and Spelunky.

In all seriousness, consider getting a Switch. My kids are 4 and 7 now and the ONLY time I game is with them before bed with the Switch docked, or in bed before I sleep, with the Switch in portable mode. We all play some PS4 games together, notably Spelunky, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Overcooked, and Rayman, but most of those are on the Switch now. PC gaming is largely dead to me these days, sadly.

Edit: they will also appear out of nowhere and break into the bathroom whenever you’re in there, so bring your phone with some games on it and lock the door.

I played Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad.

The other nice thing about the Switch is that if you’re trying to kill time, like during a baby’s nap, it has a built in suspend button to instantly stop whatever you were doing. So something like a JRPG with a mindless grind can fill periods when you’re feeling brain dead.

I liked having mobile or iPad games that I could play one handed while holding the baby when, e.g. trying to get her to sleep, but again, you need games you can abandon at a moment’s notice. For multiplayer game, Hearthstone worked okay, since I assumed my opponent didn’t mind getting a free win if I bailed.

Antihero is great, really quick 1-2 minute turns. :)

I’m not a father but I think Pharaoh could help you.

I was playing it the other day, then had to go to work so left it on pause, make a sticky note about what I wanted to do, went to work and came back 12 hrs later and resumed play.

It’s fairly easy to get into, and the systems aren’t too opaque or complex (just remember to control your walkers and ensure access to workers for industrial blocks and you should be ok,) considering it was released in 1999 and therefore designed 1998 or earlier.

Just be aware that most scenarios are hours long. I’m building my first pyramid complex and I have my supply chainsome all sorted and am mining plain stone like a mad man, and using it just as fast, and said pyramid complex will take another hr to finish probably, and I’m 33% done, PLUS the time spent setting up my beautiful city.

I’d be reluctant to recommend my favourite game of all time, Age of Wonders 3, on account of every turn in that game has you doing stuff, and later game battles could be an hr easily, and quite intense, and mistakes are punished.

First off, congrats!

I had started Pillars of Eternity shortly before my kid came out, and while for many reasons a big, story heavy rpg might not be the greatest option, it was for me. At the time (it’s been through some revisions since, I think) the combat was pretty straightforward and not too tough on medium (and easy mode is, well, easy) which allowed a certain amount of coasting, except for boss battles. And when I felt like it I could dig into the optimization game (which upgrades on which weapons for which characters kind of thing), which I always love.

The main reason I recommend it, though, is that there is a party member who was a midwife with a really solid backstory to explore that feeds well into the main plot, which really hit home for someone who had just seen his wife give birth, with a midwife directing the scene. Anyway I loved it.

There have already been a lot of good games suggested, but I’ll throw these in too.

Axes and Acres
Solar Settlers
Monster Slayers
Thoth (a simple twin stick shooter with very short levels)

My experience with looking after a newborn was that I just had to be near him for long periods of time while he slept. I actually finally figured out Dark Souls when he was 1-3 months old. Sure I died a few of times because he woke up, but your not playing the real Dark Souls if you’re not caring for an infant at the same time.

My son is 9.5 months old now.

I’d say any games where you can pause at a moment’s notice work well.

Bonus points for any games where you can pause and then Alt-Tab out of the game and come back at a later time to continue from that moment.

Grim Dawn fits this criteria well, btw.

I recently started playing it multiplayer, in case my friends want to join my passworded game in the middle, but man, I forgot that in multiplayer you can’t pause. Sure, it goes to the menu, but it’s still running in the background.

So multiplayer is out.

Oh man, I’ve been there.

Inviisble, Inc., Card Hunter, and Massive Chalice would be my short list. Massive Chalice gives you bonus thematic relevance.

Lots of great suggestions here. I’ll throw in Slay the Spire as a game that would definitely work for a new dad that I’ve been enjoying.

Congrats!

The game I’d vote for is Has Been Heroes.

I read the thread title as “fresh father”, as in “previously I was not-so-fresh and a bit stinky” and I happen to be a Dad lol :)

By the way, congrats to you all!

My kids are 3 and 5 now, but to the best of my recollection the types of games I played didn’t really change, it was just like like others said, I had to be fluid about my gaming time. I remember hen both kids were newborn I’d feed them and then let them sleep on my chest as I played something.

You need something pausable, easy and soothing. I say Subnautica or XCOM.