Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

I actually find QT3 frontpage pretty perfect as it is when it comes to visual design.

White, purple, and green is a bad choice for colors.

So if you are at table with your racist grandma or aunt or cousin you are now a racist. Thanks for clarifying that.

If you let the view stand unopposed then yes, you might as well be a racist too at that point.

It’s not the same but the effect is the same.

Edit: removing the example since I didn’t realize this wasn’t P&R. It should be, but I’ll remove my political “jab”.

I admit feeling like what I posted probably only belongs in P&R as well.

I am not saying I think the Qt3 front page needs changing. But you might consider that fundamnentally it has a well known look.

RPS used to as well. Now it looks super generic, like it’s about to become a member of the Jezebel et al family of super generic content sites. I mean I could be glancing at any number of websites I don’t actually care about. The color combination is bad, and it also isn’t meaningfully repeated in any way that makes me identify the content as “RPS” and not “some rando’s game website”.

Step 1 is pretending alt-right values are accepted as normal conservative values.

Step 2 is pretending to be a victim when Step 1 fails.

My biggest gripe with Eurogamer is that they have 2 columns, one for all stories and one for most read stories that end up being basically the same most of the time. Don’t use an algorithm, curate dammit. I’d ask them to do without the puns but apparently that’s UK law.

I don’t dislike the white spaces on either Eurogamer or the rebooted RPS, but I am usually disappointed when a redesign ends up dramatically lowering the information density on the page. Engadget is now useless and un-fun to browse. They used to have basically the same format as Joystiq, which is still my favorite. Image, headline, a bit of text, an invitation to click through and read more.

So make the colors more modern and light, clean up the lines, and leave the info as it is, that’s not broken.

A guy wants to bitch about web design and everyone wants to talk about the week-old P&R shit.

There are important rants to be made here, folks.

Here is a new one to debate:

So GoG tweets something that shows them to agree with the GG crowd and VG247 tells GoG to sick it up their bums.

I think positions on this will be determined by how people view GG. The initial intent of GG was to take politics out of game reviews but it was quickly co-opted by bigots and trolls who seized on this to vocally spew their bile. Then people on the other side like Anita Sarkeesian tried to use this to garner sympathy to further their own careers. The whole thing became a mess but in this case I think was a very poor decision by GoG to tweet that crap. Any association with GG is not a particularly good thing.

That’s certainly a novel interpretation.

If that is what you are getting out of that post I believe you may have missed the larger point. If you would like, we can re-open the GG thread and debate this particular issue.

There are good people on both sides!

Hi guys, I heard a loud whistling sound. Did you hear it?

Anyway, what’s up?

I’ll forgive them for the tweet if they replace games journalism with VG247 on the headstone.

Guys, let fantasy be fantasy.

Maybe somebody really want a game in a sex dungeon.

Sex Dungeons And Dragons.

Natural 20!

20 Shaders of Grey

If you want to put females on metal chains. Is okay.

But remember the safeword.

This is a MUCH better joke than mine.

But I still don’t want a like button.

I’m hesitant to agree with this summary. VG247’s explanation confuses me:

Today, GOG tweeted out a promotional gif for Postal 2, which is not the problem. The gif contained an image of someone pissing on a headstone marked ‘games journalism’, which also isn’t the problem.

The problem is that the gif can be interpreted as a dogwhistle that panders to hate group GamerGate, which itself has been proven to lead to radicalism and even murder.

Well, which is it? GOG tweeted something that wasn’t a problem, or GOG tweeted something that was a problem?

What a confusing way to present the situation. VG247 doesn’t provide a copy or cached version of the tweet or anything, and doesn’t provide any more detail or context on the extent to which the GIF “can be interpreted as a dog whistle” (emphasis mine).

So I don’t know what to think. Was this a very specific GIF that is absolutely a GG symbol? Is this like claiming you thought a Pepe the frog tweet was just funny because frogs are funny? Or are they saying anything critical of games journalism could be a dogwhistle for the GG crowd?

Because you could make a case that the latter is probably true but I don’t think any fault lies with GOG in that case. It would be an overreaction to decide that no criticism of or jokes about games journalism are ever okay any more because you never know which ones GG might seize as a rallying cry.

And GOG has since offered this apology:

”We’d like to follow up on our recent tweet about Postal 2 to share our apology and a few thoughts:

• The intention behind our tweet was to inform about a release known for controversial content.
  • Unfortunately, we’ve failed to make the association between the image, the date, and an abusive movement.
  • Our intention was never to hurt or condone hate.

So if anyone’s seen the original offending tweet and can offer more explanation and context, I’d appreciate it. But just going by what’s reported in the linked VG247 article, I don’t think there’s enough there to warrant any outrage, especially considering what looks like an earnest apology from GOG.