Games journalism 2019 - Everything is streaming

New Year, new journalism!

IGN starts off with a bang. Daniel Krupa, Gav Murphy, and Rory Powers are leaving to start their own venture. “RKG Productions” which will probably be some kind of streaming lifestyle thing.

Eww, capitalize that J. You’re freaking me out.

Never heard of them.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, I don’t see anyone launching a new console without tens of millions in marketing to back it up. Amazon or Apple maybe, but a development house?

Pfft. Apparently someone has never heard of the critically condemned, Ouya, from the makers of…

And what about the much re-tweeted SouljaGame console, by the maker of Crank That?

Anybody can make a console nowadays.

I think he meant “successfully launching a new console”… And yeah, never going to happen. We can barely sustain the three we have now.

Maybe they’ll give devs a bigger cut. I hear that makes the players go flocking to a new untried source.

It might, it might. Just look at all he things the Mud Box can do:

What is the Mad Box?” Bell wrote. “It’s the most powerful console ever built… It’s literally ‘Mad’… You want 4k, you want VR at 60FPS? You want a full engine for free to develop your games on it? You have it.”

When asked about what games will be available on the console, Bell stated that “We plan to allow games from all developers, old and new.”

And besides, the people behind it are already interacting with a community just desperate for info:

A Twitter user, @LogiForce, responded to this tweet questioning the 60 frames per second claim, asking if it should be 90FPS for VR, to which Bell replied that it’s 60FPS “per eye.”

Variety reached out to Bell, who clarified via email that the Mad Box will be 120 FPS after the confusing “per eye” FPS claim.

So, when can I buy a JPEG of the console?

You want to drag that fight forward into 2019 (and a new thread)?

ಠ_ಠ

I stumbled on this video and I thought it was pretty interesting.

Basically he talks about how sneaky publishers are starting to move the implementation of micro-transactions to a few weeks past when the review cycle happens, so they aren’t part of the reviews and don’t impact scores. Call of Duty has some pretty horrible looking micro-transactions, from what I can see here. Yikes.

I’m torn on the idea. Was anything he reviewed in Black Ops 4 actually changed since then, outside of bug fixes and balancing changes?

Aren’t all of the things you can buy with micro transactions additive to what he reviewed? Isn’t what he reviewed still materially the same outside of that stuff which was added?

I think a better avenue might be: do at-release one-and-done reviews make sense for games that are trying to be “services”?

Depends on whether the content being reviewed fundamentally changes or if everything is just additive.

I don’t agree. First of all, the additive might improve the review/grade. Even if not - while I know nothing of this specific case - what if the “additive” microtransactions involve an upsell screen being stuffed in your face after every match? Overreactions about MTX aside, there’s still a line where even a “non gameplay affecting” thing is being pushed so hard it detracts from the game experience I’m trying to enjoy.

You want to talk scummy transactions?

@dsmart Your thoughts on this? Would you port Universal Combat to this console?

I’ll take prototype nonsense designs for $400, Alex.

Being a British person of a certain age, I’m unavoidably reminded of the vapourware that was the Konix Multisystem.