Games journalism 2019 - Everything is streaming

I just operate zero tolerance environment on my (tiny) subreddits that so strict it makes Broken Forum look like the Wild West had a lovechild with 8chan.

You would have had a very different experience on a RP server back then. Because there were no server transfers or dungeon finder or name changes and you needed groups to see some content, people learned they had to behave. That would go double for a RP server because the name of bad apples spread like wildfire on those servers. The GMs on those servers were also far more restrictive.

Roll that same character on a PvP server and it was a very different issue. There is a reason Barrens Chat became very well known and it was not just for people looking Mankrik’s wife. It was more like listening to constant loudspeaker announcements at IgnoranceRUs.

RP servers back then were good fun. So was “our” hardcore PVP servers though (Bladefist) - even with the worst datacenter in history (in France)…

Hey, here’s a fun little journalism-y kind of thing. I like the bit where nobody liked the HK-47 performance, until everybody did.

That must be the problem. I was always looking for MANKREAK’S WIFE

I worked with Darragh during my time at LucasArts and can attest that he’s the real deal. Very nice guy, super smart, and a tireless advocate for excellence in game audio.

PC Gamer’s James Davenport wrote this article:

The response from “git gud” gamers was as nuanced and reasonable as you’d expect. Davenport has taken a hiatus from Twitter.

The silver lining is this meme:

Which has become an instant hit to lampoon a very particular kind of toxic gamer.

My apathetic Gen X ass is constantly amazed by the things people care about. People are giving a dude grief because he cheated a single player game? Why?

Git gud noob.

Which has also produced this great response to the above:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1115674026628636673

In fairness, he did publish an article about it, which is pretty much asking for this response.

And I say that as someone that would, were I inclined to even try to play a game like Sekiro, probably do the same thing.

Also, that Sonic response may be the greatest thing ever produced by the internet.

In fairness to whom? The knuckle draggers who somehow took offense to something a guy did in his own game, affecting exactly no one else? So his mistake was not cheating, but writing about it?

There’s a whole lot of great ones out there.

Fair point. I only mean to say that this is like putting a big bowl of sugar on your front porch and then complaining about the bugs.

Do you not understand how somebody could feel that a thing they love is being disrespected by someone not treating it seriously? I’m not saying it’s necessarily rational, but it is certainly plausible someone could be irritated that another person is failing to appreciate an experience that they found meaningful.

It kind of blows my mind that this is just accepted. I mean, I’ve been around, don’t get me wrong. I know that there are folks out there who live to tear people down that step outside their rigidly dogmatic expectations of conformity. But the fact that they’ll do this over a goddamned video game is just nuts.

Not just accepted, 100% predictable. There’s no way that article wasn’t written with generating this response (and the page clicks that go with it) in mind. I wish I lived in a world where it still surprised me.

Not even a little bit.

No, I can honestly tell you that not one word of that makes sense to me. Because you don’t own my experience, and you don’t get to dictate terms to me how I choose to experience a thing. Respect has nothing to do with it.

Evan Lahti (of PC Gamer) had a great response to the outrage:

It’s disappointing to see so many folks resorting to personal attacks, point-scoring shitposting, and gatekeeping about what a “real gamer” is. It says a lot about the state of gaming discussion that a topic as eternal and innocuous as game cheats is being used as ammunition in the 2019 Culture Wars.

Personal choice is at the center of PC gaming, and as James concludes the piece, hacking, glitching, modding, and yeah, cheating are inseparable parts of our hobby and its history. Telling someone that there’s one true, right way to play or complete a game is antithetical to what it means to be a PC gamer.

Hope everyone got their two minutes hate in.

I’m not saying anybody should get to dictate what others do. I’m saying that people sometimes feel negative emotions about people who fail to like (or appreciate or whatever) something that you like or appreciate. It doesn’t mean you should be an asshole on the internet. I’m just saying, have we not all thought at least a little less of someone who doesn’t “get” a thing?