Games Journalism 2020 - Who gets the axe this time?

No one cares, I suppose. I’m just talking about what people in 2010 were saying would happen to games. It hasn’t happened; the mobile market is huge but it’s different than we expected and hasn’t hurt consoles or console game sales.

I don’t think it’s gatekeeping to say in 2010 we thought we’d be getting Diablo IV on iPad instead of Diablo Immortal. By 2030 I think we’ll get Diablo V on iPad as well as Diablo Immortal. (And again, I am totally fine with Diablo Immortal existing; I supported it in the thread here for it IIRC.)

I play Carcassone, Through the Ages, Ticket to Ride and Ascesion is on the list but not played yet. The only difference between me playing on PC or mobile for those is if I am in the mood look around online, shop, talk to people and post or work or if I just want to chill out in bed or quiet someplace else and play on the phone or tablet. I don’t see it as an inferior platform at all for many games. And I love, love the fact that with Stardew Valley it just picks the right tool when you click the square, and you don’t have to specify on mobile.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it doesn’t matter since resources for development aren’t infinite.

That’d be a bit like saying it doesn’t matter if games move to a model of being entirely on demand rentals instead of something you at least sort of quasi own.

You’re welcome. It brought to my attention critical-distance.com

Also learned that the raping of women for “breeding farms” in Gears of War universe happened on the human side and not the locusts’ side. I had thought it was the bad guys doing the raping since the series onset.

Oh no, the rape farms are a human thing. I look forward to the Netflix adaptation where they cast a less-than-100%-Aryan woman as the token lady whose experience in the rape farms gives her the courage to stand up and fight against the existential threat to humanity, and Gamer Culture throws an endless series of fits about how Liberal Hollywood has an agenda to promote the dilution of the white Gene pool.

The future is fuckin’ bleak, my friends.

Wait a minute, what is this rape farm shit? I’ve played every Gears game and I don’t remember a thing about that.

JFC45

Four days into the new year, and we’re already covering rape culture in gaming in QT3. Is that a new record?

Does “digital crack cocaine” sound better to you?

These digital board games might be nice, but I’m not familiar with the original physical board games, and I would feel better “trying” them out and paying a subscription for multiple games than paying for each one individually. (Starting to feel that way about Netflix, CBS All Access, etc. too.)

Are you referring to our present-day 2020 or the fictional Gears future on Sera?

The references at the bottom of that page appear to be comic books? So these things have never shown up in any of the video games, like I thought, because I would sure as hell remember that. Can’t say I was ever tempted to peruse any Gears fiction but I sure as hell ain’t going near that stuff now.

I am glad they didn’t talk about forcing menstruation in 10 year old girls in order to rape them to repopulate the species in a video game, but hey the fact that was written at all about a video game…

I have investigated this topic as far as I intend to. I admit I kind of chuckle to myself whenever the idea of “head canon” comes up but as far as I’m concerned that crap doesn’t exist.

I was all set to chime in on the Rescue Rangers episode about the soda but this has gotten serious again.

I’m sorry to have brought this up as a result of the article.

Jesus man, run with it! Somebody has to steer us out of this curve before we fly off the road.

Hey let’s shift to the less controversial topic of discussing why game developers and publishers are scared of conveying news to their audience when they pitch micro tran card games or just straight up mobile games instead of the next big one everyone wants to hear about. That’s kind of what we were talking about before.

I think it would be fun to play Gears games in rape farm levels, especially if we get to fight any mutated fetuses. Maybe they’ll be DLC in Gears 5.

Yeah, it’s going to suck if/when Kotaku goes, especially comparing that article to the one @Nesrie posted.