Games Journalism 2020 - Who gets the axe this time?

Well, I’m sure the 35k people that played StW were pissed about it, but the rest of the planet hasn’t had an issue with Fortnite.

That would work if Sweeney came out and said my bad, we had loot boxes, but he’s trying to act above the fray while he literally participated in it.

Since you didn’t even know about the loot llama, who has a name by the way, maybe try not to defend it so hard, lacking the knowledge that you do.

Maybe get off your Epic High Llama every now and then too?

I don’t make words come out of Sweeney’s mouth. You can certainly keep kissing the other end though, feel free.

I mean seriously, you didn’t even know what it was, and you’re mad at me?

Yeah it’s not something i made-up, just in case someone gets too tempted to claim that.

He sure saw the light or…

I like seeing this. He’s put his interest in folk and traditional games to excellent use on SUSD and the podcast in the last few years. As evidenced by the amount of crokinole boards I see in people’s homes now.

I mean the loot llama was so ubiquitous that they had Fortnite valentines that were called llamagrams, that were just llama pictures.

They sold them at Target even.

I, who have never played Fortnite, am aware of the llama. It is the de facto mascot, with freaking toys made of it!

That’s because it’s an in-game treasure box you can find while playing a match in Battle Royale. It costs you nothing and is not a “loot box” under the generic meaning of the term except apparently in Save the World, which hardly anyone plays. @Lunarstorm can probably explain it better than I can.

It was something you could buy with V bucks which could be purchased with real money. They didn’t benevolently decide to become more transparent and add limits. Governments were looking into this, see above.

And again, all of this only matters because, once again, Sweeney stepped forward and tried to portray himself and his company as something they were not. The world, yes the world, were concerned about these loot llamas, doesn’t matter if they were called boxes, in Fortnite. The proof of this is right up there.

So no, Epic was knee deep just like a year ago, and for him to stand up there like that didn’t happen is just pretty darn disingenuous, well for those who have a memory more than a year long I guess.

I think you did just fine! :)

I have no idea how you’d spin off the Battlefront series with more open world elements anyway. And to finish it by Fall 2020? So that can’t have been like a Destiny type game, that couldn’t possibly have been finished by then.

Aw, too bad. Maybe we could have seen the worlds of Anthem and Star Wars become one.

WTF is it with the Star Wars license that just seems to kill almost every game (since the buyout) its burdened with? Is EA just terrible at managing those properties? Is Disney too involved and smothers any creativity?

Maybe they want uber-hits because “we are star wars”. And then maybe everything else you mentioned can hut too.

I think companies like Disney are governed by stupid rich people that have no idea how the world works but have a lot of power and money. They have ideologies that are part neoliberal and part pseudo-woke because is fashionable.

Gosh, I didn’t realize that article is exactly from one year ago. Apologies if it was posted before.

it doesn’t matter if it’s from one year ago or ten years ago, we’re all too often stuck doing chores instead of actually playing now days. And it strikes a chord with me.

And on that note:

And don’t even get me started on all the dumb movies and cut scenes we have to sit through.

I just wanna fucking play.

Haha, I actually liked doing camp chores.

Every time this thread is bumped, I assume it’s because someone I like left Kotaku. . .

I liked that stuff. The only thing that really felt like a chore to me was eating a ridiculous amount of food trying to keep from losing weight.

Hair cuts, bathing, brushing my beautiful very good totally deserves brushing and treats horse was not a chore! It was part of the charm.

That would imply there’s still someone left.