Games Journalism 2021 - Coming to you live!

I propose the following solution:

That The Game Awards, just like the Oscars, are incredibly dumb and caring about them if you aren’t in the industry is a bad idea and wrong.

The guy who wrote the article is a turbo idiot who should not be allowed to make important decisions or near heavy machinery.

You know what the award should be for the best selling game? The sales figures.

I live my life like the lady in the radiator.

lady in the radiator gif _ Tumblr

I think game awards should simply decide who lives and who dies. That makes things more final and not subject to argument.

Oh I don’t know…

Geoff Keighley just wants to make sure Geoff Keighley controls these awards and this show.

Fighting on the frontline of the console war means there’s no time for subtly. People are already drawing up humiliating memes highlighting the Xbox and Playstation’s respective nomination counts. Given these impossibly high stakes, we should be grateful that the author showed enough restraint to not use Keighley’s Dorito Pope photo in his diatribe following such a betrayal.

I’m just happy It Takes Two is being recognized for the brilliance that it is. I love Psychonauts 2 and many other games which released this year, but I don’t think any impressed me constantly as much as ITT does. So much endless variety, all playing incredibly well, and looking beautiful while doing it. True example of a studio “punching above their weight”.

Haven’t played Returnal yet but am lookin forward to a holiday PSN sale.

Forza Horizon 5 is great and deserves to win some awards, but I also get it - it introduces a lot of new stuff but it’s also quite a bit more of the same. Hard to judge it up against the other games nominated.

Must-read feature for anyone interested in Tom Hall, Ion Storm or Anachronox.

That was a good read. I played Anachronox when it was first released. What a weird game. Pretty janky, even for it’s time. Although the author of the article suggests it feels like a finished game, it’s really obvious that huge parts of the game were cut.

But I loved it. A charming game.

There were so many things that were cut from the game, like the black and white ghost ship pirate level that was showed off at E3, and the massive cliffhanger never felt like an intentional end point but a “no more delays - this has to release” kind of situation. Despite its flaws, I bought it at launch on a whim and absolutely loved the characters and goofy humor.

I still hope Hall shares more details about how he intended the story to end one day. Some of the places we never got to visit sound so creative:

Furthermore, according to Lee [Perry], “We created a lot (and you don’t understand how much of an understatement that is!) of unused content”. This included the planet of Matrix 0, the homeworld of PAL-18, Boots’ plucky robo-sidekick. As Tom planned, on this mostly created but unused world, “the crew doesn’t have any of the planet’s currency, so they are essentially poor, and they get stuck in rectangular solids with their picture pasted on them! They gradually earn the Matrix 0 currency, getting more polygons, some animations, attachment points, specular maps, and get on to meeting more important, more well-rendered people they need help from!”. This, on top of a pirate-themed world called Port Presence that was completely in black and white, was one of the many ideas and concepts that never made the final cut. Instead the game ends on what was originally planned to be the halfway point,

EDIT: oops, sorry, that was actually not the link I wanted to post. I meant to post this link, also from Decrypt

The world can be a very dumb place sometimes.

I mean we all pretty much agree this is some money laundering scheme, right?

Has Second Life made its return to insane Digital Store stage yet? Did any of the corps that created virtual stores in SL ever actually sell anything?

Don’t know but this all makes sense to me, non-existent property bought with non-existent money.

Figured this may fit in here well enough even if he’s not technically a journalist, what with its attention to detail and research: Karl Jobst posted in a new video on the ongoing Wata Games scam saga.

Don’t worry, it isn’t really $2.4M, but monopoly money:

And like most NFT scams, it will be people being both the seller and the buyer, buying it with a second account, to make like if your business is a great investment.

Yeah, there’s an analysis going around twitter this week showing that 10% of crypto users were involved in 97% of all transactions. It’s just a tiny group at the top manipulating prices with fake sales. Bottom line, if you are a cypto bro and not actively involved in fraud, you are in fact the mark.

Ok, I know exactly where this last guy is coming from.

This was linked from within the article

This is some peak… something.