Games you bought and still own but have never really played

Myst

It just did not grab me

Escape from Monkey Island (well one of the MI games)

Got it just before our dinosaur 'puter ended up in an awkward spot in the basement, and I could never get it to work comfortably on XP, and wasn’t motivated to struggle with it.

Colonization (the original)

Found the interface too painful.

MS Flight Sim 98
Found it too frustrating with KB and mouse, and never got around to getting a joystick.

HOI (the original)
Got it as part of the Paradox 6 pack, and it didn’t seem worth putting alot of time into learning it with HOI2 already out. I DID play far enough to figure out you couldn’t invade Yugo as Italy and still stay neutral in WW2.

HOI 3 : Still waiting on it to be patched up to playablility.

Street Fighter 4 : Bought the PS3 version on sale a few weeks ago. Still haven’t taken it out of the shrink wrap.

Persona 3 FES - I’ve wanted to play this game for ages and have even made it about 10 hours in. Unfortunately, I started this around the same time I bought a pc and fell in love with TF2.

Shadow Hearts Covenant - Another game I am a few hours into that just fell to the wayside. It is very different than any other RPG I have played, at least in regards to the setting and characters.

Resident Evil 4 - The first RE I ever tried to play, and I had to quit because I was scared of the zombies. Now that I have played through part 5 I think I am ready to tackle it though.

The Path - I bought this at Tom’s suggestion and have yet to even launch it, I think.

Rome: Total War - This game faced the same fate as Persona 3. It seems great and I love it, I just loved TF2 more at the time.

I think this year I am really going to attack my meager backlog. There are only 3 other upcoming/recent games that I am very interested in, and they can all hold on for a few months. Of course, we will have to see how long it takes for me to get tired of MW2.

Feel free to shoot me but

Half Life 2 (Pretty much all of the single player stuff from Orange Box)
Bioshock

They just don’t grab me on that ‘‘I can’t put this down’’ level. Every time i try to play them it feels like a chore. Maybe i just need to suck it up and try to get invested in the story.

Much to my regret, too many to list.

It’s a huge list, and always growing, but then I play one of them sometime when I’m bored and remember why I have them.

Is there any easy legal way to get System Shock 2, Planescape : Torment and I-war? I can’t find them.

I really want to try I-war, because as much as I liked the setting in freespace 2, I couldn’t get into the gameplay (too much like descent, it felt weightless), and I heard I-war has a more newtonian model. Should I start with I-war 1 or 2, if I ever find them?

I have a bunch of GoG stuff I haven’t really played yet, such as Gothic I & II, Beyond Good and Evil and Fallout 2.

I didn’t look for the others, but you can buy Planescape Torment from GoGamer for $19.90 U.S.

What? Freespace 2 is basically WWII in space, like X-Wing or Tie Fighter, and at least to me, feels noooothing like Descent.

I-War 1 and 2 both have Newtoinian flight models, so they’re much more unforgiving, but more satisfying in some ways once you master 'em. They’re both very good games. I still need to finish I-War 2 though. Have finished I-War 1 a few times now. ^_^

Really? I often got myself into situations where my ship stopped and I kept turning to find my target, and in most of my dogfights I was too close to my enemies. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

I bought Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath a year or two ago, and I think it’s still in the shrinkwrap, actually.

Crysis-well, I’ve done the intro, basically. I prefer to play FPS on my 360 now, but I’ll get back to this one. Looks good.

World of Goo-bought on sale

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Majesty 2

Company of Heroes

Mask of the Betrayer

Valkyria Chronicles

I have more, but those are the biggest ones, in terms of things I WISH I were playing, but just haven’t.

Baldurs Gate II. I played BGI a while, until I got bored with the story, but never got far with BGII because I suck at the combat. If I could get more proficient in the battles, I’m sure it would pull me in.

Of all my little-played games it is the one that still calls out to me to go back to.

Assassin’s Creed II, Farcry2, UFC 2009, Street Fighter 4, Prototype.

You actually STOPPED during dogfighting in Freespace 2? Wow, I’m surprised you lasted long, as one rule in games like that is never stop moving. There are several visual cues the game gives you to tell you where your enemies are, such as the radar and the arrows on the hud pointing in the direction of your enemy. You should honestly never need to stop to find your prey.

True that. Sigh.

Baldur’s Gate 2, purchased day 1, never played. Never even played BG1. Loved Torment though!

Fallout3
Kotor2 (well, just not motivated to finish it)
NWN2
Company of Heroes
Halo3
World of Conflict
Stalker
Dragon Age

You need to stop buying RPGs then. If none of those kept your attention, nothing will.

I can’t speak for NWN2 or Dragon Age, but I don’t think Kotor2 or Fallout 3 are must-plays. Kotor2 has aged hard. The art is really bad, clearly surpassed by assets imported from the original. There’s no combat that can’t be resolved within 5 seconds of spamming an AoE. OTOH the writing is excellent for the Star Wars universe. However, the NPCs won’t say anything worthwhile unless you abandon your decision making to faction grind priorities. It’s also still broken. :( I would recommend a classic SNES RPG before Kotor2.

Fallout 3 is definitely AAA quality, but I hate the MMO-ness of it. I put it down before finishing, having seen less than 1/4 of the content, and I’m not interested in going back.