GameStop will heroically remain open for business during the pandemic

Unfortunately stupid people travel and bring their germs with them.

If they wanted the physical game so bad, they could’ve just ordered it to be shipped from a lot of different places. I still like physical games now and then, but I’ve left the house once in the last week for milk because… is milk delivery even a thing anymore? I remember it being one as a kid.

I’m kinda sad to see here disparaging remarks towards Gamestop customers, especially. Not everyone is tech savvy, and even smart people can be missinformed about how tech works.
As for Gamestop staying open, I think they’re pretty close to the brink of bankruptcy, and them closing stores voluntarily, before a goverment order, would kill them (they’re gonna die soon anywya but that’s another matter). You don’t give a shit about the company, or about physical media, or about it’s shareholders or owners ( I don’t either)but I hope you at least think of the thousands of employees who work and who you’re wishing were suddenly unemployed.

I like to think that reasonable, non egotistic people don’t line up for a freaking piece of plastic when the health of others, especially their relatives, is at stake.
Especially when society as a whole is asking kindly them not to.

As for Gamestop, since they don’t compensate their thousands of employees during these harsh times, I think you are pointing your righteous finger in the wrong direction, sir.

Yeah it’s easier to make fun of someone being ignorant of tech when they’re also lining up for a game they don’t need to take possession of to play during a pandemic.

I think the biggest issue is that the people here on Qt3 that have actively been wishing death on Boomers have taken to calling the Coronavirus the Boomer Remover, not Boomer Doomer. Get with the program everybody.

Well, you’re right that it’s low hanging fruit. But I think a lot of us have grown up with stores like Gamestop, and as we’ve watched the retail scene degrade, we can’t help but be a bit bitter about it.

-Tom

Well, they just closed in Canada, anyway.

Can they still ship preorders? I, uh, don’t much feel like going out to get a game right now. :-/

Sitting in a Starbucks drive through right now with the kids and the GameStop in the plaza across the st is open!

Walmart is open too I got some switch games there yesterday. It’s hard to shit on GameStop for this when Walmart is selling games too. Walmart also sells food, though.

I guess I’m part of the problem.

My mother (snowbird) just called on her way back to Canada inside a gamestop… 80% off all games. Ended up grabbing around 20 for me.

I wouldn’t have let her go in if she called from outside, but I couldn’t say no to Planetfall for 5$.

Exactly. You also can’t be in most Gamestop stores and keep a reasonable distance from other customers.

And if people went there to buy those games because of preorders, the stores could have gotten everyone to pay in full ahead of time and then done drive-ups or something. We more or less did that for Halo 4 years ago in my store (interior mall store).

They shouldn’t be open at all, but if they were going to, they could have done more.

Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, Fred-Meyer all those one stop stores have an unfair advantage… no argument there.

Physical games are not only not worth anyone’s life, they are largely unnecessary for most people. Even people without internet are seeing free WiFi access in some areas to help alleviate all this.

One infected GS employee can spread to how many families. We have got to cut down the rate of new cases… drastically, or we’re going to wind up with a lot of preventable deaths due to overload.

No argument here.

And you’re right curbside pick-up would’ve helped but GS has always been weird about that.

I couldn’t actually pay for an order in advance via their website before all this. One of them would actually remind me I don’t have an order, I have a… hold. And then they did their upsell crap. They’re not designed for quick in and out… at all. It’s part of their issue.

As a long-term member of the “PC Master Race” guild, I haven’t bought a physical game in a very very long time. I’m guessing it’s been around 10 years, as I think Hearts of Iron 3 was my last.

All I have to say about this article is I love you @Telefrog. The dripping sarcasm is practically collectible like a fine maple syrup.

Pennsylvania’s state officials have forcibly suspended all GameStop business licenses in an effort to combat the spread of coronavirus.

UPDATE: Following news of the closure, GameStop has announced that they will be closing all access to physical stores across the United States, and will be moving solely to digital sales, online sales, and curbside pickup at stores. Additionally, GameStop claims in their press release that they will continue paying employees whose hours are cut for the next two weeks; a month of benefit contributions will be reimbursed to all employees affected.

Based on what I’ve seen in the mainstream media, Gamestop was going to clobbered in the public eye if they had continued.

I’m glad GameStop closed, but why didn’t they look into curbside pickup or something? Best Buy moved to that and claimed, anyway, that the skeleton crew fetching items volunteered to be there.

I assume the answer to my question is that they are culturally incapable of flexibility, but I’m curious if anyone knows more.

They announced curbside pickup locations today

I hope they will just take payments online and not force those employees to actually run cards. Gamestop should’ve been able to do the quick pickup thing long ago, but they insisted on upsells.