Gearboxs' Borderlands Universe gets a movie

“From the producer of Uncharted, Spider-Man, and Venom.”

Hahahahaha

Not exactly the recommendation they seem to think it is.

Still, looks as if it might be good for a bit of brainless fun.

Yeah looks fine. I dunno if I’ll pay to see it in a theater, but could be okay.

As much as I like Ariana Greenblatt though she doesn’t have quite the manic quality Tiny Tina should have.

Directed by Eli Roth, strike 1. Looks like a mashup of Mad Max: Fury Road and Guardians of the Galaxy, and it just so happens that I have yet to see Tank Girl, so who’s to say if it’s hopelessly derivative? Strong hit but just outside the foul line. Strike 2. Haven’t played Borderlands, so I don’t care if it’s a good adaptation or not. Ball 1. Oh, one of the characters reminds me of a Harley Quinn type, which is interesting because none the movies where Margot Robbie played Harley shattered any critical or box office records. But I bet the makers of this (“from the producer of Uncharted! Spider-Man! and Venom!” Uhhh… just stick with Spider-Man.) would want folks who saw Birds of Prey or The Suicide Squad to show up for this too. Another foul ball. Stars Cate Blanchett and Jamie Lee Curtis as sci-fi action stars? That’s a strong hit into the outfield, but will the right fielder catch it? The glove is up and…

Looks fine. The cast is more impressive than I could’ve hoped for, Kevin Hart playing Roland as apparently the straight man that he is is unexpected, and the setting is the setting.

Take that trailer and get James Gunn to choose the music for it, and I think everyone would be looking forward to it.

I dunno, did we need Jack Black for Claptrap? The original voice actor was pretty perfect.

Unfortunately, David Eddings and Randy Pitchford had a major falling out and since Pitchford is EP on the movie, you get no Eddings. Jim Foronda voiced Claptrap in B3, but I guess he wasn’t enough star power for the movie.

I was under a rock and this just slid under with me. Didn’t know it was a thing but your assessment is exactly what came to mind for me.

Hope that the humour lands more than the trailer made it feel. Looks like it could be fun.

Meh, trailer didn’t do much for me.

The trailer was… fine imo. But geez that casting is all wrong.

it’s weird on the characters…they are mixing too many of the DLC’s and versions.

Cate’s a bit old for Lilith

No Brick? (I guess the psycho is supposed to be the muscle?)

No Mordecai?

No Dr Zed?

But they have hammerlock?

Borderlands is cool man, it’s not funny, so Kevin Hart is missing for me.

Love the music for the trailer. More ELO baby.

That too. I’m willing to extend some creative liberties but it’s hard for me to square Tiny Tina (though based on the trailer, Tina in name only) being part of the Borderlands 1 crew.

Are people expecting the movie to follow the games storyline? Because, well, not much storyline to follow. Big picture, maybe, but the storyline of Borderlands is “I used gun x for 3 levels, then, gun y dropped, and it was much better, and that lasted for 4, etc…”

As I recall there was shared history between most (if not all) of these characters prior to Borderlands I, so perhaps this is sort of a pre-quel to the first game.

I’ll admit that Kevin Hart as Roland seems wrong to me, but I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Production values seem high, so hopefully it’ll be good.

Seems weird they’re throwing so many characters in from the first two games, but not Handsome Jack or Torgue.

Yeah, just not feeling it with the casting at all. And there’s no way I’d ever recognize Jack Black without knowing ahead of time. Seems like a huge bomb to me.

I think Handsome Jack kinda insists on a storyline they’re not chasing. This is world building and a basic vault quest, if I had to guess.

Yeah - world building, fun, mindless action, maybe a few “found family” moments. I don’t think this is aiming for any more than that.

I get the criticism of Blanchett, but I don’t think it really matters. I suspect that what they’re looking for is someone with a charismatic presence for the first film (and Blanchett is always good for that). And if they do well enough to push for a sequel, they will explore stories with other characters.