Gears of War 4 - The next generation

Tech Interview: Gears of War 4
“Not only the best Gears game for fans, but also a defining visual showcase on Xbox One.”

I was gonna hold off till it hit bargain bin but I GOTTA have that special edition X1S.

PC specs.

80GB!

Here it is! Horde 3.0!

https://youtu.be/Z7SF0tlFT1s

Awwww hell yes. I could only watch with the sound off at work, but that looks good. All hail the king, indeed.

Launch trailer:

https://youtu.be/ji2aU4EdQww

Oh man, to hell with these kids I want to play as Old Man Marcus!

I guess this means Marcus survives through the ending of Gears of War 1-3.

To those who are in the market for a GPU upgrade…

All right I cracked and preordered. I mean it’s not like I was going to skip the game but I thought I might hold out until it gets cheap, but then my friend I usually game with said he’s getting it, and then I’m weak, and then bob’s your uncle or some such.

Are the first three games worth playing in single player? I know you can play them all cooperatively. But I never found a good opportunity to play them in Co-op. Are they worth checking out just for solo campaign?

I love Gear 2’s Horde mode, just to give you some context. Best gameplay experience I’ve ever had, bar none, is playing with my brothers on Sunday mornings and trying to complete each of the provided maps in Horde mode. So I already love their gameplay in Coop.

I’m not the best person to ask, I’m afraid. Pretty much played through all 4 games in co-op, though my understanding is that partner AI is decent.

No345

-Tom

P.S. But the last one (Judgment?) kind of is.

I enjoyed them a lot.

Funny, Judgment is by far my least favorite Gears fame. It distills everything about Gears down to bite-size levels that just extend to the end of the game and started to feel extremely samey very quickly. Still, if Horde is your favorite thing about Gears, it might well be up your alley.

Unless you really really love cover shooters, I’d just jump in with the third (or even just wait for 4). I’d say it’s worth playing solo. Gears 1 was, I don’t want to say groundbreaking, but impressive on several fronts when it first came out. But I don’t think it holds up all that well in a market flooded with cover shooters, especially not when the sequels improve on the mechanics (and, in 3, the structure).

For anyone who has this game preordered digitally, preloads are now up for both Xbox and Windows 10 versions.

Note though if you’re preloading the Windows 10 version, make sure to get the latest OS updates first - some fixes to nasty download bugs which affected Forza preloads last week.

DF is very impressed, by the XBox One version, the PC version with its plethora of options, and by the Play Anywhere integration: Face-Off: Gears of War 4 | Eurogamer.net

On Xbox One, this is one of the most technically accomplished titles yet released for the platform. With impeccable image quality, steady performance, and a whole host of modern visual effects, it’s truly one of the best looking games on the console. We’re eager to see how this version of the game is transformed for the arrival of Scorpio next year as well.

The PC version impresses even more due in part to the poor track record of UWP ports this year. Gears of War 4 on the PC runs like a dream on a wide variety of platforms and features one of the most robust set of options we’ve seen as of late. The Xbox Play Anywhere feature also works supremely well making it possible to switch back and forth seamlessly between PC and Xbox One gameplay. The saves carry right over and all of the messaging is clear so you’re never left wondering if your progress will be overwritten.

Nice.

Wendelius

Been enjoying this a lot. I was interested, but went ahead and got it after the giant bomb quick look. I liked the previous games, but they weren’t anything special to me. However, this one has gotten its hooks in deep. I started it on my PC, and then played a lot more on Xbox yesterday.

I have noticed that I enjoyed it more on the PC. The controls felt more responsive, I assume due to the higher framerates. However, it is still fun on Xbox and the graphics are well done on both systems. So far, the only downside has been the one bike level I’ve been on. Wow, what a huge tonal change, it was just a chore to get through to get back to the fun of the game. The set piece wasn’t even that interesting in this level. Such a weird design choice.

But, as I write this, I am looking forward to getting back home and playing more tonight.

The fact they’ve attached this to the 1070 etc makes… new GPU … harder… to… resist. And… then… Win 10… :/…