Gears of War 4 - The next generation

Picked this up for Windows 10 against my better judgment. It’s REALLY well optimized–I’m freaking surprised. Runs great on Ultra on my 980ti compared to Forza Horizon 3.

80GB took 4 hours yeesh.

I’m a fan of the series, I picked this up yesterday and only had time to load it up (80G!!!) and see how well it runs. I was getting a SOLID 60FPS in their test mode with everything high (1920x1080). Looking forward to playing the campaign with my friend on hard.

Edit - I guess I should say - i5 5th generation, NVIDIA 970

Got it with my 1070 and gave it away, no interest in ever getting Win10Prism.

I’m surprised at how well optimized it is considering all the other Xbox One ports and DX12 ‘exclusives’ are so crappy (Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3) by comparison.

…and the campaign is shorter (5 hours) than the time it took to download 80GB at 50Mbps (6 hours).

2nd major update coming for Gears 4.

2 new maps (Speyer and Glory) cycling into the public playlist while two old maps (Gridlock and Relic) drop out. Season pass owners get to hold on to the old maps.

• Daily rewards system
  • Vertical split-screen option for Win 10
  • Audio improvements

Oh - I hope the vertical split screen will also be able to go online for horde mode.

Cross-play between Xbox One and PC players announced.

[quote]
Late last year, we conducted a cross-play Test Weekend to bring our Windows 10 and Xbox One fans together in public Versus Multiplayer, combining fan feedback and extensive data gathering to help us decide the next steps to take to deliver a matchmaking cross-play Versus experience.

When we looked at the extensive data we received thanks to the incredible participation from our community, there was a clear message – it works. And after reading the hundreds of pages of discussion and feedback from the cross-play Test Weekend, our fans said the same – it works.

As such, beginning today, Social Quickplay will now be a Cross-play playlist! This step is planned to be a permanent move for the future of Social Quickplay, with the first few months being a ‘trial period’ in order to monitor player feedback alongside data to ensure the Test Weekend was representative.[/quote]

All other modes will still be platform-specific.

Gears 4 will be offered as a 10 hour free trial on both XBone and PC soon. Great time to try it if you have been on the fence.

We also have some exciting news to share for Xbox One and Windows 10 gamers who haven’t jumped in to the Gears of War 4 experience yet. Beginning on June 9th and running until June 15th, we’re offering a limited time trial version of Gears of War 4 to download for free!

This full game trial will offer 10 hours of free play in Gears of War 4, including the entire first Act of the Campaign plus full - yes, full! - access to the Horde and Versus experiences. That means you can try out Rise of the Horde on top of all the great content that exists in Gears of War 4 today! And, if you don’t complete the Trial during it’s availability period, you can still play to your 10 hour time limit anytime afterwards.

For our new players, we’ll be offering special bonuses to earn as you level up including guaranteed characters, weapon skins and new Horde Skills to try. Here’s a rundown of all the rewards on offer:

They are also adding a new difficulty mode harder than Insane called Inconceivable!

So, Steam and not a UWP title?

Downloading the trial from the Windows Store…

I read somewhere that the download is almost 100Gb, I’m not at my pc to check but is it really that big?

I tried to check for you, but Windows Store won’t load up for me.

Edit: 10 minutes later it finally loaded. Approx. size, it says over 102GB, so yep, it’s that big.

Holy crap. Glad the downloads are smaller on Xbox.

Xbox isn’t much smaller. My install was up 80+ GB.

That’s total, the update from yesterday was 20 GB.

Thanks @Rock8man, appreciate you taking the time to check it.

It is enormous. Given the small environments and not state of the art visuals, I don’t know why.

While the update itself is large, it’s because it includes some new compression techniques in addition to a bunch of new content. On Xbox and PC the install size will be smaller after installing the update:

Following installation of this Update, the overall size of Gears of War 4 will be:

Xbox One: 78.5GB
Windows 10: 103GB

It used to be ~90 and ~120 for each platform.

Anyone still play this? Of all the console shooter-types, this series is the one that I’ve enjoyed most, despite its terrible story-telling. I played the first 2 on the 360, and this year after getting an Xbox One X have been playing the enhanced versions of Gears 3 (which was incredible in 3D enhanced) and now Gears 4, which is quite a bit different, not surprisingly given the new development team.

Gears 4 actually might have the best story of the series (just starting Act V), but is still dumb and largely incoherent. The enhanced graphics are great, however, and the gameplay is as good as ever in the series, and seems more rigorously playtested to avoid inconsistent difficulty spikes. If anything, it’s too easy so far (started on Hardcore diff) compared to previous games, but I’m glad that the dumb boss fights of the previous installments are pared down.

Liked it enough to get Gears of War Judgment on Gamepass and have played that a bit too, but man, the unenhanced graphics look pretty rough by comparison now.