GeForce Now

Nvidia’s GeForce Now streaming service is now open for public signups. There’s a free plan that gives you access through some kind of a queue in 1 hour increments, and a founder’s plan that’s basically $60 for 12 months + a three free month trial.

I signed up for the paid plan just to try Control on RTX hardware, but honestly at this price it’s something I’d stay constantly subscribed to just to have access to when traveling. Seems too cheap to be true.

Eurogamer’s impressions:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-has-geforce-now-quietly-killed-google-stadia

Shucks, I just realized Control isn’t one of the supported titles yet. That’s the one I immediately thought of trying too.

$5 is a good price. Thumbs up. (I would still prefer no subscription though.)

This is appealing.

I like that it will let you play your existing games library without forcing you to buy into a new one. But I’ll let you guys guinea pig this thing and read your impressions.

Oh, that’s a real bummer. Seems crazy, given it’s basically supposed to be the RTX showcase.

Google still has the advantage of better tech, though I’m not going to even bother trying Stadia until the free tier opens a year from now.

Messed around with free tier. Easy to get installed. Was a tad janky to get game connected. It loads up and wants you to login to STEAM. Then it just loads the page of the game up in a STEAM page. Didn’t know what to do then. After going ahead and clicking play it “installs” but takes a second. Guess its a placeholder of some sort. Tried out Hitman reboot. Granted its not a Twitch game but felt like I was playing locally. Got a warning about a “spotty connection” once for a few seconds but other than that was solid.

By a lot compared to what the other messes are offering.

It’s a sad commentary on the state of my hobbies that limited one hour sessions on free don’t sound too bad.

So was OnLive just too far ahead of its time?

Control has its secret deal with GamePass to think about :)

This isn’t a subscription service in that sense. You need to own the games on the appropriate PC games store to play them. So I doubt there are business concerns re: Game Pass (e.g. exclusivity, if that’s what you were implying)

I think the video quality was shitty, so no?

Onlive also didn’t allow you to play games you already owned on Steam. They had some free games and then there were games you had to outright purchase. Also their library of games sucked.

Has anyone found a list of supported games somewhere? Nvidia’s page just gives me a search function. I’ve entered any games I could think of, and very few of the ones that came to my mind were supported, so I wonder what games actually are supported. (Search terms I tried but got no hits on: Control, Battlefield, Battlefront, Jedi, Anthem, Mass Effect, Call of Duty (first hit! They seem to support all? of the Call of Duty games), GTA, Overload, Descent, DiRT (second hit! They seem to support 4 DiRT games), Far Cry (hit! They seem to support Far Cry 4 onward), dark souls (hit! They support all Dark Souls games), Rebel Galaxy, and a few others). They seem to not support most things I searched for, but they do support quite a few compared to Stadia I guess.

I thought EA was out.

It seemed to have a bunch of games that I typed in. You can just start typing letters and a list of games will appear

I also noticed they were missing some weird games (they have Fallout 3 and 76, but not 4).

Looks like the games in their system might be driven by request and they still need to catch up.

I created an account and realized I normally use mods for several games. Not sure I want to play without them.