GeForce Now

Do you know how to convert the original JSON to a spreadsheet? I think the field names are the same for each record.

Some quick scripting in python, various other languages, etc

Main thing is how you decide to deal with the nested data (i.e. here genre has multiple entries that varies by game)

LOL, I was actually prodding people to do the work for me.

Where’s a Geforce fanboy to do this and post it on Reddit when you need em…

I think this could be somewhat handy when I travel and I take something portable and light like my Surface Pro but maybe I actually want to play oh, Monster Hunter. I wouldn’t give up my gaming desktop though because I’m not sold the experience will be as good as that.

Oh nice. I forgot about laptops and tablets, since I’ve never owned one. Lots of people have those. I bet that’s a pretty good use case. Especially laptops.

I tried it last night on my laptop and could not get a fast connection. Could have been my router I guess.

Yeah the gaming laptops are kind of heavy and annoying to drag around. The lighter ones are a lot better for travel but they come with a cost, not great for gaming on local hardware. I have both kinds, and I use a tablet a lot too.

This model also removes the risk of the other ones have… if the business folds, I lose access to their service, not the games I play. I can still play those on a beefy machine.

I use an old gaming laptop and while I can still play new releases, I have to do so on low settings. If GeForce Now gives me a way to play some of those games on high settings without upgrading my computer, they might have my subscription for a few months.

Since I happen to already have a generic conversion script that deals with nested data…

http://snellman.net/tmp/geforcenow/games.csv
http://snellman.net/tmp/geforcenow/games.genres.csv

Just copy that original JSON link here: https://json-csv.com/ and download the CSV/xls.

Excel actually has a JSON importer, but I couldn’t figure out how to work it.

Tried this last night on my PC. I’m connected via powerline adapters, I get about 35-40mbps down speed. I fired up Dying Light, had settings to max. Setup was easy enough. You have to install the game everytime, but it took seconds. There was no waiting, I got right into the game. I only played for about 10 minutes but it seemed to run well. I didn’t notice any lag issues while traversing through the map. I was pretty impressed really. I’ll be on the road Monday/Tuesday night so I’m going to give this a try on my mediocre work laptop with a wireless connection to see how things go.

I’m not sure why that terminology keeps coming up. Is it the interface that’s telling you it’s “installing”?

yes, when you login it takes you to your steam page. When I clicked on Dying Light it brought up the typical install screen you see in steam, however when I clicked install it took like 5 seconds to do so. From what I read you have to do this everytime but I didn’t try logging in again to see what would happen.

You know what this is great for? Offloading tier 2 games that otherwise you wouldn’t choose to waste HDD/SSD space on a permanent installation (also those that you don’t binge for >1hr)

Especially modern ones whose inflated space requirements are in no way justified by how they actually look.

OK, I just signed up as a founder. So um I have to install the game each time I want to play? Or am I doing something wrong? There’s a really terrible onboarding experience here…

Yes, from what I’ve heard that’s how it works.

It only takes a few seconds to install.

Spent some time with this on a Dell non-gaming laptop running a few of the games I’d normally run on the main rig (which was being pre-empted by Hulu by the GF) and overall it was not a bad experience! Certainly looks great, and ran well. Definitely succeeding at what Stadia wants to do. I don’t really expect that they have infrastructure anywhere near what Google has, but at the end of the day, they’re delivering a better product.