Gemcraft: grandiose TD at its finest

@Tman posted a lot of good stuff at the beginning of the thread that is worth reading. YouTube is how I learned the basics though.

I am finally at level 100. Feel like that is quite an accomplishment! : )

I am having a problem on G2. It states to kill 790 monsters at Range 7.6. I have my gem at that exact range but it is not lowering the monster count for every monster killed. I must be missing something in how range works. I thought if my gem is at the proper range it would work.

For those kind of missions I would reduce range to zero in my kill area…let a long chain of mobs walk by right next to the towers I was using (by bombing the queue to increase the number of mobs in the wave), freeze them and increase the range before letting loose. That always works for making sure you are in the range requirement. Could be buggy I guess, but never had any issues the way I did it.

(for the curious, details on G2 including map)

So we’re on the same page, when you say you have a gem at exactly range 7, are you putting those gems right next to the tome chamber & using the mousewheel to reduce the range of the gem?

FWIW - I tackled this pretty easily by gem bombing the swarmling waves.

For future challenges where you need to kill not just monsters, but have them frozen and cursed at the same time, a trick you can use to time things and that is to have an empty socket outside the kill zone, and move your most powerful gem away so that it’s not killing things, then when you get a good set of monsters in the kill zone, to freeze/curse them and then rapidly move that powerful gem back and immediately put a beam on it. (putting bolt/beam reduces the cooldown to zero).

Are we saying that the gem has to be within 7 of the tome chamber itself? I put the gem by the amplifiers. Though I did try it by the tome chamber too the attempt before the last.

I will give it another shot.

I did use the freezing and moving technique to try and maximize with beam or bolt as suggested. Though 790 is a lot to kill that way.

Lower the difficulty settings and bomb the queue so you have a ton of low hp mobs. I would just come back to the more difficult levels at a much higher level as well. You can pretty much grind your way through anything.

Yes! All challenges are within a certain range of the tomb chamber! That’s why you weren’t gettting credit for the kills.

Thanks for the assist!

I finally beat G2 & J4 and now have the amplifiers.

Off to watch videos on Mana Farms.

Do you have bolt yet because mana farms work 10x better with a bolt in a trap.

Yes, I do. Bolt is good in mana more than beam? I was putting bolt on a kill gem in a trap.

Good! Sounds like you have it. In the trap, it will not only leech mana, but it will whittle their health down. The trick to mana farms is to not kill them in the mana portion, and to finish them off with the kill gem.

What is the best way to start farming for Talismans? Is there a certain level that one should be at? I am currently level 139.

I still have some difficulty going to the Glaring Difficulty. I can beat various maps but not getting extra xp yet. I have been farming xp on Looming and selecting level 2 traits.

IIRC you get better talisman by playing at harder levels. I paid more attention at trying play each map with all traits at close to 7 as I could. What I would do is start a map on glaring at everything maxed at 7, and then adjust traits down from there. Once I found the sweet spot for traits I left them alone until I was beating maps too easily and then I would readjust upwards.

2 for each trait sounds a bit low, especially for looming. So my advice would be to increase those first, especially some of the easier traits. You should start getting some better talisman that way.

I am still working on getting my level to 150. Been working on maps to gain the various gem types and spell powers. Finally obtaining success and adding things to my arsenal.

I will start to add the difficulty levels now that I have more gem types available. I believe I can start making a reasonable mana farm which should open up the game.

Do you need to have at least one skill point to have a gem after you earn it? Example do I have to put a skill point into poolbound for it to appear on every map? I read somewhere that was true but when I look at the maps it shows it available on the map screen (I have not gone into every map to confirm).

I don’t believe so, once you get the gem, it will show on all subsequent maps.

What is best to put in trap for mana beam, barrage, or bolt? Different people seem to do different things. Barrage increases specially 30% while bolt ignires armor and beam causes it to fire more often?

I would think barrage for the increase to specials but does armor affect a hit occurring to drain mana? Or is beam better to increase the amount of hits. People state one or the other but with no true explanation as to why they chose the one they use. I have seen people state different things when the question is asked; so who is right?

I don’t know if there is a right answer per se. I always used bolt and my reasoning is I want to whittle their health down to next to nothing so there is no question my kill gem will kill them. This is because I occasionally make mistakes when enraging and having the bolt in the mana gem as well as the kill gem gives me a bit of insurance.

FYI - a mistake I make on enraging is that I use the mouse wheel to increase my gem count so I can reduce the number of clicks when gem-bombing and then I still get a bit heavy on the clicks, and when I’ve already got 50 gems loaded up, a few extra clicks can add significant number of health that I didn’t mean to.

I use one gem to enrage so I know how much. I think which ever gem is in the top left position is the one that gets used so I suppose could play a 2G, 3G if one wanted to. At least I thnk it is the left top space, I wish the spaces were labeled for referencing.

I also used the bolt which you had recommended which I think is probably better at lower WL. But I am wondering as I grow if one of the others will work better. Unfortunately I do not see any info to watch the mana leaching actually occur to tell if one weapon is working better or not.

Well yes, I use one gem as well, but I gem bomb 100-200 times in later levels (when you see start seeing E next to numbers because the numbers get so big - my runs exceed E45) and clicking 100 times to gem bomb that one gem isn’t really doable.

So you can press B and then hold down SHIFT and then you can use your mousewheel to increase the number of times you’re going to copy that single gem & bomb - so instead of clicking 150 times, I’m clicking 3 times (if I’m bombing 150 times).

How many times are you clicking to gem-bomb a wave?