Gems of War. The wait for PQ fans is over (sort of)

ESPRESSOJIM

Agreed, but the designer believes that is info overload for the more casual player. And to be fair, he’s made a lot more success as a designer than I have. There’s some info you can’t even find on that page, notably the ratio of how many gems are removed from the board (or points of health/armor) to point of increase for a given power. It varies from at least 1:1 (Paladin) to 5:1 (Templar)

We still have a spot open, so I put in a request there for someone to invite you. Between here and my request, someone with the invite rights should see it and get you in.

The best thing a new player can do is to focus on making themselves stronger. Don’t worry too much about gifts to the guild at this stage. Unlock new kingdoms and fight battles. PvP invasions are a very good way to make money because you actually profit when you win, something that doesn’t happen with PvE unless you field units like the Alchemist. It’s worth blowing some gold to reroll a good match, and remember, the AI isn’t nearly as capable as you are so a level difference doesn’t guarantee defeat.

Thanks!

I started invading at level 14 because I was bored. Sometimes I have to roll a few times to get someone I think I might be able to beat, but it seems to be the best way to progress. The campaign type stuff is kinda frustrating, these seem like easier fights.

Darren has sent you an invite ej.

I’ve wondered why my goblin fills up with just two green matches, but my main character takes four or five matches to fill. That website seems to answer the question: different skills cost more or less mana. I didn’t know that until reading this thread (and that link) just now, so thanks.

By the way, in many cases, the lower level hero weapons are superior to the “better” ones for this reason. I used the elder bow for AGES. That one takes only 8 mana to charge, so if you have a city that gives +1 green per match, it takes two matches.

lolwut

That last 1 is significant. Looks like someone’s storing their data as floating point.

55% is for losers. We are so far past that.

Thanks for those 4 keys today. Considering how many cards I had before (~7), this is a huge jump in number of options. I’m almost a little overwhelmed by options now.

I think the best cards I got were: Berseker, Banshee, Owlbear, and maybe goblin shaman. I also have an alchemist, Valkyrie, Bombardier, Dryad sitting around, but I have no idea what to put together into a deck - maybe hero/goblin/banshee/berserker? I could run a Priest’s hammer as weapon and cover my color bases.

Goblin/Goblin Shaman is a fun combo. Lots of extra turns.

Alchemist + Banshee is mighty. I run both of those plus a Blade Dancer, all level 15. The Alchemist generates enormous amounts of gold mana (and actual gold income) for the Blade Dancer and Banshee to use. The Banshee turns blue into red, which feeds the Alchemist. Once the cascades start, the match ends.

My main pairing so far has been a Valkyrie and a Frost Giant, with the other two slots rotating through various options with mixed results. But if you have a couple solid blue mana users, Valkyrie is amazing. She doesn’t take much mana to charge, and you can almost always find a color to change to blue that makes a 4 or 5-gem match. I don’t have an Alchemist, but it seems like it would combo well together, since turning things back to yellow will charge the Valkyrie again and keep the cycle going.

Yup, same principle as Alchemist + Banshee. The difference is that the Alchemist and Banshee feed each other, whereas the Valkyrie doesn’t help the Alchemist.

This can’t be overstated. Alchemist + Banshee can take on a team of full legendary troops, especially if you have the yellow torch weapon from a few events ago. Still, very powerful without, if a bit slow to play.

I’ve been really liking this combo. If I can get a 4 match when I convert blue gems to red, I can combo many turns in a row. Additionally, I’ve got the goblin for poke damage and more free turns. I just had a game where I had 7 turns in a row due to combos feeding each other. My question is - when it says “transform blue to red to boost the effect”, exactly how does that increase the damage? I’ve only been using it for the mana, but it would be great to know the calculation to maximize the damage.

It varies, but in the case of the Banshee, you do 1 additional point of damage for every 3 blue you convert to red.