Gems of War. The wait for PQ fans is over (sort of)

I had a lot of sucess early on with alchemist & Lady Saphirra.

Yeah, Saphirra is rather good. Oh, and until you get something you want to replace him with, Luther is phenomenal on most any team.

So should the lack of interest in the 1.06 patch be a warning sign? I downloaded the Android version, but I’m having issues with the game having to reload every time I turn off and on the screen, as well as not being great at saving match progress if you switch to other apps for a while. It’s like if I’m not totally sure I can commit at least ten minutes or so to playing the game, I might as well not bother. And I’m not sure I’m loving the game enough to put up with that. Are those issues in the iOS version as well?

Also, I tried PvP a couple times and the matches were lol-mismatches. Ended up throwing away about 2K gold before I realized what I was doing. So I won’t be trying that again for a while. Seems like there’s a ton of single-player content, though.

No issues on the iPad that I can see. Invade/Defend stuff is a crap shoot. Sometimes it’s a nail biter, sometimes it’s a laugher. Generally you should have no trouble running your rank up to 1 each week if you have the patience to simply play the twenty or so matches you need to play. Whether you want to or not is of course the question.

By the way, how the heck do I get a Webspinner? I’ve got keys coming out my ears, I have over 100 different troops, but I’ve never gotten a webspinner. Am I just unlucky, or is there some magic way to get one?

I think Webspinner was one of the glory rewards you could buy, wasn’t it? If not, it’s just luck. I still have never found a Shegra, or a Shadow Dragon, despite oodles of keys.

Oh, maybe. I wasn’t buying all the reward troops early on (I do now). Hopefully it’ll come back around. Also, since I have my Dragon armor now, I can start spending my gems on magic keys, so maybe I’ll get one that way.

Just luck. I have no Carnex, Sheggra, or Keeper, but two webspinners, one of which was one of my first legendaries. Webspinner was considered not-quite-garbage tier for a long time. Bumping the damage by one and the ability to increase Magic a little has changed that perception. Because I lacked the big-hitting legendaries, I’ve been using Webspinner and Venoxia as the core of my team for many, many months

My current rotation is Abbaroth or whatever his name is (eats the world dude who clears the board and gains massive attack), Gloomleaf (steals attack and armor), the Doomstones guy who starts with a G (explodes seven gems), and usually my hero, with the weapon that does four to each enemy and increases all friendly magic by one. Usually, it roflstomps, though a few times I’ve been whomped by relatively mundane lineups that synergize really well.

Not sure what you mean. I’ve been enjoying the tweaks quite a bit, especially the nerfing of exploders. The only downside to 1.06 for me was the introduction of maps as a task reward. It has seriously slowed down my Dragon Armor-fueled quest for gems (to get Celestial Armor).

On iOS, the game has always handled sleep quite well, but switching apps is dicier, especially for lengthy periods. If you don’t want to commit to finishing a match before switching apps, then this may not be for you.

You should definitely build up your card collection until you find a team that consistently whomps the AI before going into PvP. As TheWombat says, a team with good synergy, regardless of rarity, can often take out a team of legendaries.

Can someone explain to me, using small words, how this new patch works? It appears there are new troop synergies, a new kingdom leveling mechanic, and some kind of difficulty setting (?), but no explanation on the best way to approach all the changes. MUST MINMAX

I can tell you about the difficulty setting, at least. Basically all it does is give stat boosts of varying levels (25%, 50%, etc.) to the team of any opponent you play, but it also increases the reward multipliers by a similar amount. And it’s brutal, not least of all because I swear they’ve tweaked the gem drop mechanic to screw you more often. I was walking over basically everyone pre-patch, and now I’m getting killed, even on the lower difficulties (currently Warlord I).

PS I don’t know if you noticed, but I promoted you to Sentinel. I’ve finally burned out on the game after playing it daily for all these months. I’ll still be around and playing, but not as much as before. You are clearly one of the most active members of the guild, so I figured you’d be a good person to pick up the slack if guild tokens need to be spent. You may have been able to do that already, but if not, well, now you can. :)

The difficulty levels are as noted above, but the key thing is that all of them above the starting one remove the artificial limits on cascades the AI gets. So, yeah. Brutal.

Huh. This may be the time I take a break as well then. One can only match three so many times!

Thanks for the promotion though!

Looking back, this was an incredibly dumb thing to say. One can never stop matching three. What are the other good RPG match-threes out there for iOS?

I’ve recently starting getting back into GoW and went ahead and kicked out QT3 guild members who have not logged in for more than 6 mos.

If there is anyone who’d like to join up please let me know.

Although I have been logging in and contributing to the guild semi-regularly, I’ve recently started playing again too. They’ve made some good changes. Such as:

• Troops now level to 20.
  • You can now add powerful traits to units using crafting materials.
  • Kingdoms are now leveled using gold.
  • Each kingdom now has a power level that is increased by leveling and adding traits to troops.

Any advice on how to spend gems and glory now? I already have the dragon armor. And I don’t see troops or weapons for sale anymore.

If there’s still room, I’m Cordonazo in GoW.

Thanks.

Sad to say, but I probably won’t be returning to this. So kick me if you must. Good game though; I don’t regret playing it.

I’ve started playing again