Generation Zero: Avalanche Studios, Fighting Robots in 1980s Sweden

If a high-definition ‘Sir You Are Being Hunted’ with better combat and an eerie atmosphere appeals at this price get it, if not wait a bit. I am enjoying it, but it’s not for everyone.

This, Just Cause 4 and Rage 2 all got reasonable updates… Same dev right? Commendable :)

So this is apparently at its most historic low:

What say ye, those who are playing it?

I haven’t played it, but I did remove it from my wishlist today. Reviews strongly suggest that it’s still a buggy mess, and against that backdrop they just released a vanity DLC pack, which is not a good look.

Oh god, forget that.

On the other hand, they just updated the game and added bikes. So that’s a good look.

I may be less sensitive to it than others but my time with this never felt buggy. You could feel the limitations of the budget but I never had issues with bugs.

I like that it is different enough from other shooters to keep me interested. You absolutely have to use things you pick up to win fights like radios and flares to distract the robots. If you play it as a straight “run and gun” you die pretty quickly. Fights are tough and ammo is scarce. It also just looks great and feels nice to walk around in the world - the photo mode is great (controls for it are a bit wonky on keyboard though). But content wise it is sparse - fight robots, loot, move to next area and repeat - (and when you get to the next area, lots of the assets are the same as the last area). Definitely not a Ubi-style open world crammed full of stuff.

Generation Zero is having a free period on Xbox if you have Gold for those that want to try it out.

Downloaded it to try it out. It looked interesting in the previews, even though the reviews didn’t look that great.

Thanks for the heads up. I definitely want to give it a try.

Not on PC?

ezgif-5-2b427114accc

Figures.

I installed this yesterday and played it briefly.

This will sound strange to some, but whenever I saw those robots in the trailers that you fight, it never occurred to me that those robots would be shooting right back at the player as well. I had assumed that the robots would be charging the player, melee style, while the player would be shooting at them, trying to kill them before they got there.

But the very first robots you meet in the robopocalypse are these little robots that are relatively weak, but they fire machine gun fire at you! And you’re in a landscape with very little cover. So basically I’m always going to get hit before I kill each of these robots. I’m not sure I like that. As I wander the countryside, I killed many robots, but each one got to lower my health little by little. I kept using first aid kits that I found, but now I’m low on first aid kits and ammo, and I respawned at the beginning of the game when I died, instead of loading a saved game.

So, this seems like a battle I can’t win. I’m always going to be hit by some gunfire and take damage. I guess the game better provide a never ending stream of first aid kits.

So free to play weekend, eh ?

I see the October patch upped the difficulty a bit adding in rival robots.

You know – this game is kinda fun to play solo/stealthy. It is hard that way. But I am pretty curious as to why an advanced (1989 advanced) buncha robots invaded Sweden. I mean …. I guess if your Swedish this counts as an apocalypse but… Anyways it isn’t terrible.

I’m likely gonna pick it up in the upcoming sale to do co-op with a buddy who really likes the game.

So with it being at an historic low on Humble – especially as a subscriber – I picked this up. Not bad so far. I was sneaky sneaky around, shooting the little robots, and then saw a biggun and had to take a break, as I was noooooot ready for that yet. Gonna try some co-op soon too I think.

I was just looking at some beginner tips. Solo can be really tough. But I am going to keep trying so I can figure out why the robot apoc hit Sweden. It is a mystery!