Getting fed up with buggy steam games!

This.

I have a very large Steam library, and have very little to complain about. I don’t own GTA4, but I do own FC2. I’ve had no problems with FC2, but haven’t played it since I finished it over a year ago (see my posts in the FC2 thread here to get an idea of the date). I liked the game, by the way. It’s a sandbox, and not to everyone’s taste. There are problems with the design (guard post respawn rates). But then, I’ve not played it since it’s been updated, and I’ve not played it on the ATI graphics card I have that doesn’t play nice with my monitor (a different story altogether).

I have had the occasion to use Steam support on a couple of issues, and I found it to be adequate.Generally speaking, no one’s issues with any game are unique. It may be that your GTA4 problem is something that Support can help you clear up fairly easily.

Not a single person on this forum would say “Steam is perfect.” Many would say “Steam is awesome” in a heartbeat, but “perfect” it is not.

Yes, I agree. I suck at computers because steam tells me the game is not available. I tried all the tricks to get around this but none worked.

You’re lying. And you think you’re the ONLY person in the world to have some weird ass FC2 bug like that? I don’t think it’s a bug. At this point, I think that ur doin it wrong lol.

If you can’t stand seeing steam, far cry 2 or grand theft auto 4 insulted, move on.

It’s not that. It’s that people can’t stand the horrendous fucking leap of logic you’ve taken from your computer’s problems and transferring them to Steam.

I am fed up with publishers that dump their game onto Steam as shovelware without patching them to the level of other, more-updated versions (like retail) or making allowances for the platform.

I don’t even know when that has happened, ever, for a game that wasn’t complete crap/shovelware in the first place.

Jagged Alliance 2 was an older, buggier version when it first went up. And they initially put up the DOS version of X-Com: TFTD, which was pretty much unusable for nearly everyone as-is. Those are the ones I remember, anyway, and they did eventually get fixed up.

A couple of MumboJumbo games, like 7 Wonders 2 and Luxor, won’t run on 64-bit Windows. At least with 7 Wonders 2 there is a patch for the non-Steam version.

The base game for ArmA 2 went unpatched for a very long time until the pre-OA patch.

Really? Name those people. I love using Steam but I know it isn’t perfect. Few things are.

Let’s all remember this the next time you ask for help in your bass-ackwards manner or should anyone even think of offering you assistance.

I played them games you’re pissing and moaning about through Steam just fine so you can lick a chorus line of dicks. This thread is an abortion and you’re the one with your ass hooked on the coat hanger, Weezie. Don’t blame the rubberneckers for your trainwreck is what I’m saying. Also, you’re ugly.

This thread delivers.

What I’m not sure, but boy does it deliver it!

Oh snape, shun!

Spatshi whatchu’ gonna do, shlow man?

Yes, that’s the ticket! Pay for them once, off steam, get nothing, and then buy them again retail to find out where the problem is coming from! Who’s the idiot? I don’t care what you think Steam is, to me it’s the store front, and they represent the games. If they don’t work, on a brand new PC, and with exhausting ‘suggested fixes’, I want a refund, from Steam. I’m out about $20 now for games that do not function. My bill came with Steam’s name on it. It’s not my job to go out and purchase additional copies or research ‘fixes’ for months. The whole idea of steam is to avoid going to the store. If steam can’t provide a fix for a ‘game not available’ state, they should refund the money.

And yes, I have tried everything from uninstalling, redownloading, reverifying, drivers, admin rights, blah blah blah. There are plenty of posts about this problem with suggested fixes. You get to a point where you weigh the time spent trying to fix a game, or just moving on. I don’t spend my days trying to fix games and make them work. I don’t get excited by the prospect of ‘fixing’ things, like a lot of PC geeks would revel in. I like to play them occasionally, have them work, and not have a headache trying to get through it. This is why I used Steam in the first place. To make things easier, not harder.

I just bought a new PC because I wanted to stay PC. Sure, I can look at the bright side. When far cry 2 failed to work, I just said, “Well, that saves me a lot of wasted hours that I can put to either finishing another game in progress or getting in some quality ‘real life’ time by going outside with my wife for fresh air and exercise via a healthy regimen of shoulder checks from teeming hordes of blind, unapologetic Asians on Robson St.”

Happy now, Bahrimon? I could see you were itching for a fix. I gave you that ‘long dead/off topic’ hit for free so you can stop with the sweats. Just go back there and reread all the posts. Maybe there are some tiny vestiges you can still snort? It’s nice that you’re in my fan club and can’t stop dreaming about me, but if you need a teat to suck on, I won’t be here every day to respond to baiting. Next one will cost you. How about $8? That would pay for ‘grand theft auto 4’.

It’s been nice knowing you.

Say that Steam does refund your money. Say that you take that money, go to Gamestop (or whatever store you would use instead) and buy a retail copy of the exact same game. Say that after installing this game on the very same PC, the exact same error manifests itself. Are you going to direct your next immutable wave of rage at Gamestop, who has sold you a license to use the software “as-is”, or are you going to finally realize that it is the company that made the game “as-is” that you should be upset with?

Until you have tried an alternative version of the game, all of your rage at Steam is irrational at best, and horrendously misplaced at worst.

Oh right, that’s who you are. You’re the racist shoulder-checking guy.

How have you been?

Name those people? I WILL, McCarthy, in DUE TIME. When I’m on the stand. But that is minor. What really concerns me is:

Dicks, abortion, ugly, coat hangers…

Hmmmm… someone’s had a real bad date recently. It can’t be easy when she rejects you and your child. There are social workers who can help.

Has he even said what his problem is, exactly?

Has he even tried restarting FC2?

I’m amazed at how many people are actually trying to help him.

I’ve been great! Keeping it on topic. Still racing, still getting checked. How about you, asshole?

Can’t complain.

Is this a rhetorical question?

Cos I’m pretty sure I know the answer.