Ghostbusters - June 2009

Sounds like when movies do their “week after opening” advertizing.

“Come and watch America’s Number #1 hit comedy that features Adam Sandler and a monkey: Oops, I Pooped My Pants!

So, Atari claims 440,000 copies sold as per NPD, but in the NPD thread, it doesn’t have them in the Top 10, where they say the top game sold 419,000. Could each port have sold fairly equal numbers that landed just out of the Top 10?

They’re probably adding up 360+PS3+PC+Wii (was it released for something else? DS? PS2? They’re probably including those too).

I actually asked Ben Fritz this question via Twitter and he said the 440k is all SKUs combined (360, PS3, Wii, DS, PS2).

I would love to get the full breakdown per console. I’m really curious to see how the Wii version fared… and if anyone actually bothered with the DS version.

The 360 version was the only version in the top 20 coming in at #11.

Kotaku is reporting that across all SKUs, Ghostbusters has sold over a million units. Of course Kotaku, exhibiting its usual knack for fact checking and journalistic quality, also maintains that the game came out on PSP, which it didn’t.

But the UMD did! Maybe they’re counting that?

Also, it’s not just Kotaku. Gamespot also said PSP.

Played a few hours of matches with some qt3ers last night and I have to say that the mp is a blast with a good group. Makes you wish the main game was 4 player co-op.

Sequel is looking more likely, [now sold more than one million copies in North America](http://www.edge-online.com/news/us-ghostbusters-the game has sales-top-one-million)

Keep in mind: It’s still not out in Europe on most platforms.
It will come in October last I heard.
Not everyone has imported it I think so “some” sales will probably come (my UK PC copy is pre-ordered).

GET CHEAPER!

I imagine that in time for the holiday season, Atari will slash the price on SKUs and launch a new ad campaign for the game.*

*assuming that people at the head of Atari are rational

Heh, I bet Actizzard are kicking themselves over cancelling this game last year.

Finally getting around to this. Question for you: I’m playing the game with inverted controls (as God intended) but when I actually wrangle a ghost it seems that the controls flip – up is actually up, down is actually down. Is that really what’s happening? It’s totally messing with my mind; I’ve played a fair amount of the game and I’m still struggling with the controls.

Otherwise, I’m enjoying the game quite a bit. Bill Murray doesn’t quite have Venkman’s tone and cadence down, but he’s far from phoning it in as I’ve seen written elsewhere.

At work we debated this and we think it came down to how the performances were recorded. The other cast sound like they were recorded with higher quality equipment that Bill Murray. If so, they the tech working with Murray might have not coached him very well. For example Bill Murray sounds fairly good in the Garfield films (which are close to Venkman on purpose actually), so he can give a good voice actor performance.

Pretty sure there’s a separate setting for ghost wrangling inversion.

I wasn’t really all that interested in this game, but since the death of Harold Ramos, there’s been a huge amount of articles online about a possible Ghostbusters 3, and every single article of that type always ends with a paraphrasing of Dan Akroyd saying if you want Ghostbusters 3, it was already made, and it’s the video game that was made. So now I’m curious damn it. I have to find a way to track this thing down.

Is it best on 360? Or PC? Steam has it for $9.99, or I could also get it as a rental from Gamespy after I’m done with Infamous (which should arrive tomorrow). The Steam version doesn’t indicate controller support, which seems like a bad sign for the PC version.

I played it on PC, I don’t think I used a controller, but its been a few years since I actually played it so I don’t really remember.

I will say I liked the game, it was a bit clunky and pretty much on rails, but it got the feel of the Ghostbusters really good.

I ain’t afraid of no ghosts! :D

Avoid the PC version in my opinion. Mouse support was terrible, mouse acceleration rendered it unplayable for a lot of people (me included). They never fixed it and nobody ever found a solution that worked for everybody.

A shame because I really liked what I played of the game.