Ghostbusters - June 2009

I’m not sure which version I’m going to get, realistic graphics on the 360 or cartoon + wii mote controls on the Wii. There was a preview of it in Nintendo Power one month before it was " cancelled", the wii mote stuff sounded neat.

There was supposed to be a Ghostbusters display at the 2008 Penny Arcade Expo; it had been shipped out to Seattle and everything, but the license changed hands at about that time, and Atari didn’t send anyone out to set things up or staff the booth.

• Alan

Hadn’t they purchased the show’s lanyards, too? So that everyone was going around wearing the logo of a game presumably vapored?

GiantBomb’s hands-on:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/hands-on-ghostbusters/608/

Notably:

So the shooter gameplay is largely familiar here. It’s all the EKG readers, spectral goggles, and other weirdo gadgets–and more importantly, the authentic, so-familiar-you-have-to-grin sort of banter between Ray, Peter, Winston, and Egon in-game–that makes this experience feel like Ghostbusters. The dialogue was all written by Dan Aykroyd and friends, the same guys who wrote the films, and it’s all totally in character and pretty funny. Ray is just as excitable and Egon as deadpan as ever, and the characters hurriedly spout tons of complicated-sounding spectral gobbledygook that you’ll pick up on instantly if you’re a fan of the movies. Some other neat elements are in there; you can access Tobin’s Guide in the pause menu to check out info on various ghosts and phenomena, for instance. That’s a nice touch.

It’s rife with Ghostbusters gadgets, as well. You can pull out your EKG and go into a first-person mode to scan an area for traces of the paranormal; it acts as a go-this-way pointer when it lights up. You can put your goggles on to look for other clues, like a series of ghostly handprints on a wall that led me in the right direction. A lot of Ghostbusters’ appeal was the crazy technology, so I’m glad to see those things represented properly in the game.

Nice.

Tobin’s Spirit Guide confirmed. But what about Spates’ Catalog. Huh?!

This looks awesome.

I wonder though, as the 5th Ghostbuster, where exactly do you sit in the Buster Wagon?

I love that this is written by the same crew as the movies and that they’re giving it the detailing it deserves with the banter and the characters. It wouldn’t be Ghostbusters without it.

Now we just need another movie…

I watched the Xplay preview today and now I’m actually curious as to what we can expect as far as the soundtrack is concerned. For me the music from the films was a big part of the experience. I still get some of the Bobby Brown songs from the sequel stuck in my head at times.

Screens.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44685/Ghostbusters-The-Video-Game-Screenshots

Saw this in action recently and it looks quite good. The dialogue seems to have a good bit of charm and humor and the visuals are nice. Can’t speak for the gameplay, but it has promise.

Looks great. Hard to get a feel for the gameplay, as Tom says, but the look is perfect.

Always impressed when someone can capture a style from another era and still transport it to today without making it look cheesy.

Those packs are hot.

there are some half decent mainstream ones coming. lousy headsculpts, nice clothes and gear. I might buy or sculpt some better looking heads for murray and akroyd and buy the figs for gear to bash up nice ones.

I don’t know how I missed this news, but details on Ghostbusters (360 & PS3) multiplayer have finally emerged. Courtesy of Kombo:

Any word on how many players it supports? I would hope four.

Let me see if I can figure that out. Also, I provided a link to the story in my previous post. I meant to do that before, but somehow missed it.

All right, from a video here I grabbed a screenshot which seems to clearly show slots for four players in the MP game lobby. So I think it’s going to be four players.

Ghostbusters snatched by Sony. Source

Sony Computer Entertainment will now be publishing Terminal Reality’s Ghostbusters title in a surprise deal signed with Atari today, just one month before the game was set to ship, GamesIndustry.biz has learned.
The game is set for a June 19 release alongside the Sony Pictures film, but only on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2 platforms, which will have a period of exclusivity lasting several months until the PlayStation Portable edition is launched.

It is unclear exactly what will happen to the Xbox 360 version of the game, although GamesIndustry.biz understands that Atari may look to publish that itself later on.

This is being made by Terminal Reality? Of BloodRayne and Nocturne fame? Ugggh…

What’s the last decent game they made? Terminal Velocity in 1995?

What is the great league of butt fuckery is this? That sucks, pisses me off and I was only somewhat interested in that game.

Wow … That seems like a big grab for Sony … If the game ends up a hit it could be one hell of an exclusive.