Ghostbusters - June 2009

I can’t believe that Sony didn’t pick this up day one. Hello?? Ghostbusters - A Sony picture? Co-marketing with the Blu-ray releases?

If Sony would’ve stached it back before Atari got it I don’t think anyone would’ve blinked.

I’m absolutely stunned. I can’t believe that Atari would let this go to Sony and that Sony would turn it into an exclusive for PS3/PS2. That limits the amount of money they’ll make off the title by a significant amount given the huge Wii install base and the large 360 install base as compared to PS3. I’m also very very disappointed as I was very much looking forward to playing co-op with my brother and some friends. Unfortunately, I’m the only one of my usual co-op buddies that has a PS3. This is a real kick in the nuts.

I think this is only a PAL issue. It appears the publishing and scheduling is unchanged for NA.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34186/Sony-to-publish-Ghostbusters

If that’s the case, then I feel like I do after realizing upon waking up that it’s Sunday and not Monday. If I’d read the GameIndustry.biz article more closely I would’ve seen that appended update indicating that it was a deal with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Thanks for getting me down off the ledge Telefrog!

MCV has learnt that the title will still arrive on Xbox 360, DS and Wii, published by Atari. A rep from the publisher told MCV these SKUs will arrive “later this year”.

Looks like you’ll be set, Steve.

Nice, Telefrog.

Now that looks better for sure!
Seems my source updated their article after I posted (marked as “Update”).

Looks so fun … Love the pull and tug of the throwers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49140.html?r=1

Atari has folded up their European operations and aren’t even exhibiting at E3 this year due, am am sure, to what must be a truly terrible cash flow problem. Selling European publishing rights not only ensured a timely release in Europe for the Sony SKUs, but is probably helping them fund the release in North America as well.

Can we talk about the pros and cons of piracy now?

Is it weird that the trailer gave me goosebumps?

Giant Bomb has some impressions up.

A LEGO-licensed video game would also have been cool. Not complaining though.

I love that the cash meter keeps track of how much of a bonus you’ll get for destroying property.

On the other hand, the game had a sort of bad Fallout vibe when you’re clearly hitting the ghost straight on with the proton pack and it’s not reacting in any way to the damage.

I hope it’s amazing, but this one has to be wait and see for me. June’s a packed month as it is.

I want to believe so badly in this game. And yet, I’m very skeptical that it can be as good as it looks in that trailer.

At least MSUSteve has it pre-ordered. (I’m assuming, I haven’t gone back to check his list, but it’s a safe assumption). So he’ll be able to tell us if it’s as kick ass as it looks.

While playing it we’ll always have to wonder if Zootfly’s version might not have been better.

If the game was shaping up to be mediocre at best, I’d still buy it. Ghostbusters was my favorite movie as a kid and remains one of my favorite movies. I spent a stupid amount of money ordering the complete set of Real Ghostbusters DVDs from Time Life as well. So I’m not likely to be the most objective critic of the game though I still maintain the lack of character face creation/customization is a HUGE miss. Forcing me to channel my childhood dream of being a Ghostbuster into the avatar of a plump, bald guy from the dev team (saw him on X-Play) is fucking stupid and extremely disappointing.

[edit]
Er, I posted already. :(

I so hope this is good. The last Ghostbusters based game I played was back in the '80s and I had a blast with it.

Bah, I wanted to find just a game play video, but my quick search only revealed clips of the game’s intro and this clip. If you skip ahead you can see some actual game play buried within the talking. Though when I did listen to the talking I was reminded that after 20+ years we are still debating some of the same topics; console vs pc, and the concept of “movies games”.

Via Robert Ashley’s Twitter: Interesting article on Ghostbusters and Dan Aykroyd in today’s New York Times.

Nice article.