Ghosts of Tsushima - Mongols Sucker Punch Japan

‘How can we let the island guide you, in the most thematic and immersive ways possible?’

-cuts to map filled with question marks-

:)

Oh, man, this is really shaping up to be the Assassin’s Creed set in feudal Japan I’ve wanted for the last decade. Hopefully without the Ubistuff.

Yup. Looks great so far. And I was just thinking the same thing. A lot of that gameplay seemed iterative of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

These comparisons to AssCreed are making me less interested…

These comparisons to AssCreed are making me more interested…

How about
Tsushima: Wild Hunt
or
Red Dead Tsushima

Either of those sound better?

Do RDR2 and ACO (either one I guess!) really have that much in common? I loved RDR2, am not really interested in playing Witcher 3.

They’re both open world games. Other than that fact, no. I don’t think they’re similar at all.

Ok, I was a bit too quick with my assessment earlier… Had a longer look at the gameplay footage and it really does look more like Ass Creed, though I can’t say if it’ll play more like the original AC or the reboot AC (Origins/Odyssey).

One of the Mongol tribes conquered China, creating their own Imperial dynasty that lasted for about century. I’m not sure of the order in which the Mongol conquests happened, however. (There were many, led by various tribes.)

Also, I’ve never heard anyone claim that China invaded Japan.

Well, I am being a bit facetious, but Kublai Khan is the emperor of China, so it also makes sense to describe it as the Invasion of Japan by the Yuan Dynasty of China.

I’m no expert, but my understanding is that a lot of the infantry and seamen and some of the generals would actually be Chinese/Korean. The Mongols would prefer keeping the cool elite jobs like cavalry for themselves (duh!). So it probably was less of a “Horde” and more of a technologically advanced international strike force led by an ethnic/political elite.

I wonder if any of that will be in the game. From the gameplay videos, it’s yurts everywhere. I’m guessing the game wouldn’t sell that well in China if most if the enemies were Chinese, though, even if you portrayed them as horribly oppressed or something.

I think the simple answer is that Kublai probably considered it an invasion by the Mongol empire, of which he was Khagan, not by China.

Ghengis Khan took the Jin siege engineers and put them to good use when he campaigned against Khwarezmia in the west. The Mongols were brilliant at adapting quickly and using conquered peoples to augment their weak spots like siege and administration. I just read a book not to long ago that was really a fun read:

https://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Khan-Conquests-Empire-Legacy-ebook/dp/B00X2ZW5ZI

Interesting, they’ve got a greyscale Kurosawa mode for the game.

Looks cool, but I don’t think I’d want to give up on all those pretty colours.

Kurosawa enviromental effects, check (fire/wind/water)

Needs more blood spray

I’d probably use it for post-game or a replay. It does more than just grayscale and film grain, it does things like turn up the wind/weather and I think increases the amount blood gushing too.

The score is sounding incredible too, new trailer for Japan

oook, I’m getting this. Damn.

Is it just me or does this seem awfully similar to Nioh and Sekiro. What distinguishes it? I’m interested but I don’t know what the gameplay will be like.

I think this is supposed to be open world.