Gilmore Girls

She was also the social worker on the last season of Shameless.

I’ve seen her say that too, and I think she’s engaging in a little revisionist history. As a fan of the show even when it was in its TV run, I can say that there was generally the knowledge that season 7 was the final one–as much as folks knew that the last seasons of The Office or P&R were final seasons. For one thing, Amy Sherman Palladino was no longer involved in any way with the show after season 6. The other thing was that the contracts of all the major actors on the show were done after season 7.

I remember hearing something a lot earlier than 2015 on this “there wasn’t a goodbye” thing. Remember that Graham was a producer at this point on the show. Not an EP like the Palladinos, but still a producer. Things may seem like they’re coming to an end to the fans, because the show was starting to suck, but if you’re an actual director the show is cancelled until it’s actually cancelled.

Did a bit of googling:

Article from 8th april 2007, which was between 17 and 18 airing:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2007/04/for_the_love_of.html

I don’t know if it’s safe to say that episode 22 had been filmed yet (it’s only 1.5 months away – may 15th 2007), but it does clearly state that Lauren Graham is keen to continue.

“On May 3, 2007, the CW announced that the series would not be renewed”. That’s like a week before the last episode? I’d imagine that episode was definitely filmed by then.

May 6 2007 interview where she talks about the cancelling, and not being so willing to carry on and even officially stating it at one point:
http://www.crushable.com/2007/05/06/entertainment/lauren-graham-interview-on-end-of-gilmore-girls/

Given how negative/unreceptive she had been towards a new season with the network, I can’t really see how it would continue from her POV and therefore not know that the episode wasn’t the last?

For the last episode, we tried to match the final shot with the first scene from the pilot

Are you going to try and get her to divulge the final four words she had planned to end the series with?
Graham: Oh, right — I forgot about that. I think she would’ve given it up to me had we known this was the end. That was the other weird thing about ending the show like this. When we finished [shooting], there was a 50/50 chance we’d be returning. So when we left the wrap party, we were like, “Bye! See ya next season!” Had we known [this was it], I think she would’ve given it up and we would’ve worked it in.

I guess she’s just optimistic?

So, my wife and I fired it up on Netflix. It’s weird looking back at the 2001-2007 period. It’s almost like a period piece. We are on Season two, and I just realized, that I’ll have to go through a lot of will she, won’t she before its all done (I watched it on and off again when it was on tv, so I have some idea of what will happen).

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

Netflix is apparently going to do a 4-episode Gilmore Girls mini-movie season. Four 90-minute episodes, written and directed by Amy Sherman Palladino and her husband Daniel. Apparently negotiating with all surviving members of the original cast, who are expected to come aboard.

Not sure they’ll be able to get Melissa McCarthy, though. I’m guessing her dance card is pretty full these days.

WAAAAAAAAAAT.

I did not know how much I needed this until I knew it was possible. I think it’s because I had to harden my heart in a post-Gilmore Girls world, and forgot how to accept love. I will be sad for no Sookie but it’s understandable.

Series Rewatch you say? Yes, I think so.

Hmmm, I’m skeptical this’ll turn out well, but I’ll certainly watch it.

I guess that they’ll be free of the kind of rating constraints that forced them to put Lorelai and Rory in increasingly dumb situations being gone is why this could really work. Amy Sherman-Palladino seems like a really talented writer who could make this thing pretty cool.

4 more chances for Team Paris. Yes.

Also, ASP will get the chance to end the series on her terms. She said during the series’ run that she knew the exact final line, but then she either quit or was canned by the WB and she never got the chance to write it.

@thelaurengraham 5m5 minutes ago
DUDES. I can’t confirm this. But I also can’t deny this…

Uh-huh.

I want movie #3 to be a Veronica Mars crossover.

#4 has to be where Rory enrolls her daughter to Sutton Foster’s ballet school.

Awesome news!

I agree that there’s no way they can afford Melissa McCarthy. But then I never found her particularly notable on Gilmore Girls anyway. I’m all about Lorelai.

Cool! More incentive to get back to GG. I watched roughly 7 episodes of season 1 when it appeared on Netflix streaming. Enjoyed it but drifted off to newer stuff. That’s probably part of their reasoning, to increase the cache of the GG reruns they’ve got available.

Presumably, Melissa McCarthy wouldn’t need a big paycheck to go back and do a week or two on at least one of the new movies. I think trigster is right that it would be more about her schedule. But I bet she’ll be in it. Everyone wins.

Cool! More incentive to get back to GG. I watched about 8 or 10 episodes of season 1 back when it appeared on Netflix streaming. Enjoyed it but drifted off to newer stuff. I guess that’s partly their reasoning, to increase the cachet of the full series they’ve got available. What a strange new world of TV fandom and funding we’re living in.

Presumably, Melissa McCarthy wouldn’t need a big paycheck to come back and do a week or two on at least one of the new movies. I think trigster is right that it would be more about her schedule. But I bet she’ll be in it. Everyone wins.

They got Bradley Cooper for wet hot, so why not.

I really hope they can get McCarthy. Sookie was one of my favorite minor characters.

I need these episodes to have Kirk and Lulu in them. Please let them have Kirk in them.

Why can’t they get Sookie now? Is she ultra famous or something and therefore demands a high price tag?