Go Go Power Rangers, I guess (2017)

EDIT: We did already have a thread, sorry.

Did we actually have a thread for this? The first trailer was a while ago, but here’s a new trailer with the first real look at the rangers and zords and the talking head thing (Bryan Cranston) and the robot thing (Bill Hader) etc. I’m sure there’s an age group with a lot of nostalgia for the Power Rangers, but I have no idea who they are or whether this will scratch their itch.

Aw man. I was kind of excited when the trailer started before Rogue One this week. Changing the premise to make them superhuman without transforming kills it for me.

Damn you discourse search. Just when I thought I’d gotten the hang of it…

Why don’t you close this topic @telefrog? Admin wrench, then close.

I think Tom likes these topics to fight it out for supremacy. Let the people decide! That sort of thing.

That is a dumb decision. I vote we close dupes @tomchick. You can also move posts to the target topic: admin wrench, select posts, move.

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t bother retitling it or anything either. Preserve the shame of the time I was so excited* by a Power Rangers trailer I created an unnecessary thread!

*not true

We’ve been through this all before, haven’t we? I thought you knew Tom usually likes this sort of goofy forum accident.

@tomchick at one time also liked arguing in public topics – at extreme length – with people he had asked to “voluntarily” leave the forum, rather than just simply banning them outright.

It is my hope we can leave these kinds of destructive decisions in the past, and choose a simple life: close dupe topics, redirect to the existing topic. Fuck thunderdome, I want a simple life with simple, clear decisions made by sensible people.

If you’re so invested in not having dupe threads, maybe put that energy into improving search so that “Power Rangers” returns the (at the time) one and only thread with “Power Rangers” in the title as the first hit.

Works fine for me. Scope your search to the correct category, first of all, #movies

I did find it when I looked later, not limiting to the Movies forum is why it was down “below the fold”. It was just a snipe at you since you’re dragging the same old arguments up again about how the forum is run.

But seriously, even not scoped to movies, is it not weird that the exact phrase in the title isn’t enough to turn it up first regardless of scope?

Adding quotes is also smart, if you are allergic to scoping a movie search to the movie category.

My larger point is that “because Tom said so” turns out to be a vastly inferior way of running a community than “because we, as a community, mostly agree about that”.

If I am kind of a dick about pressing this point, it is because, 1) I have researched in great and painstaking detail what happens when one person alone makes arbitrary and permanently binding decisions about large communities, and 2) everyone on this site has seen the fallout of that policy here circa 2012, which was… extensive and left a deep crater, and 3) I want this community to survive, and I am gonna be a dick about it if I need to, because I believe this community deserves the right to survive, and making consensus decisions at least among the so-called “moderators” is god damn fundamental.

Well the good(?) news is that since we’re off on this tangent, this thread is now its own weird new thing, not just another Power Rangers thread!

That is also related.

“Because Tom said so” is also the reason there is no Forum Feedback category for discussing issues about how the community here works.

It is, however, a default Discourse category for very good reasons.

Damn, hard to believe its been 5 years almost since that…

I feel like maybe this is a conversation Wumpus and Tom should be having over whiskey and soda.

Meanwhile, I would like to say that I will not be going to see this movie.