GodHood - from the makers of Reus

I played about 2.5 hours of it and generally like it. I enjoy the style and design of some of their core concepts and the game as a whole. Indirect fights, management of a couple of memorable (aging and rotating) characters and an already diverse class system are all fun.

The game somewhat lacks in interaction and content in some areas. As usual with EA that doesn’t mean too much for the final product but it certainly prevents me from giving a full recommendation right now. Their previous games always were chock full of content so I’m expecting they will deliver on that but there is no guarantee.

My current verdict is: Wait. But keep it on your wishlist, it has some promise.

Monthly updates so far:

Features in the new Create your own Religion update:

I like that they’re adding more to do on the strategy layer, that had been quite bland previously.

I kickstarted this, and I really like what Abbey do, so I hope that it keeps rolling forwards!

Some sad news, Abbey games are scoping down:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abbeygames/godhood/posts/2675354

I bounced off Godhood when it first came out in Early Access, but will give it another go at release. It’s a real shame the company is struggling so much, I really loved Reus and Renowned Explorers.

They are too smart for this market. It’s heartbreaking, they are some of the few individuals I bought anything they did.

That sucks, they’re a great developer. I’d been waiting for Godhood to get out of Early Access to purchase but under the circumstances the least I can do is kick them a few bucks.

It’s all my fault. Clearly I have cursed another Kickstarter.

I did the same thing, and thought I would do myself a favor and let it finish baking before trying again. Their games are very puzzle like.

And yeah, this is a real shame.

I thought they did well with Renowned Explorers. I guess Reus got them in debt?

I thought Reus was… first. If Renowned did well it didn’t do well enough to recover?

Comparing their review counts, Reus is about the same as Invisible Inc, which did poorly for Klei. RE is only half that number. So I guess their sales may have been ok for a tiny company, but not enough to sustain 8 people.

Well that’s too bad. I mean they got what they asked for for GodHood, so I was kind of surprised they are doing this… now. Or maybe they can see GodHood isn’t going to do as well as they hoped.

What? There is no justice in this world.

I know. Such a good game. Meanwhile, Don’t Starve, which I don’t get the appeal of at all, prints money for them.

Forget it Jake, it’s Survivalgametown

Worst thing I’ve heard all week. Next you’re going to tell me Into the Breach did poorly for Subset. If that’s true, I don’t wanna know.

-Tom

Well you’re gonna know!

5000 reviews. 2.5x as good as Reus. Surprising.

FTL… 36k reviews. That’s the big money maker.

My guess is that early access sales from steam factored into their long term plans, and the sales were underwhelming. They are still saying they’ll finish the game as advertised.

Newfound Shores update!

Also new roadmap 2.0 to game release version 1.0!