GodHood - from the makers of Reus

Echoing your feeling here. Renowned Explorers enthralled me in a way only a handful of games ever have in three decades of gaming. Cool quirky Characters. Story. Fantastic turn based tactical combat. Approachable but also freaking deep if you threw yourself into challenges.

I would kickstart / buy into early access for anything this team offered.

Is this available on iPad?

I played through the game with the newfound shores update. Completed the available content and definitely Had Fun.

There’s more levers to pull now, and things that feel much more like strategic choices.

RE:IS is a hell of a benchmark to aim for, but they’ve notably pivoted back to a lot of the systems that made that game work.

Sadly it isn’t.

Update 5!

Update 6!

Looking at the roadmap, 1.0 seems to be next.

Price is now 40% off during the summer sale.

From their doom and gloom post back in November of 2019, I must say they really seem to have come through meeting their kickstart goals, and not just slap a 1.0 on the box and call it done.

I’m curious whether anyone else is playing the game at this point, and, if so, their impressions.

I’ve given it a pretty serious try over the past few days, and I am mixed. On one hand, there are a lot of very interesting systems to the game. But I am far from gripped, and I think it is because the systems seem so murky to me. Just as an example, all these tenets, yet I really have little sense of what each does. I could get onboard with a game where you do not see the numbers, you just play the situation – like adding tenets to your budding religion. But then other screens are so number oriented that it pushes me towards strategizing rather than just roll playing. So the mismatch is dampening my enthusiasm.

And a further mismatch is that it appears that losing the little contests (sacraments) may often be more to your advantage than winning them. You can come out ahead using up all your days on an island, so as to gather max experience. And using the repeatable missions to fill out the days crashes your happiness. So I am busy trying to strengthen my disciples, but not too much? But not too little, because if they get broken in the contests, that’s the worst outcome. It’s all a strange gameplay experience for me.

Anyway, I am curious what others are thinking.

I’ve been waiting for it to be out of EA myself.

Ditto.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abbeygames/godhood/posts/2907560?ref=ksr_email_backer_project_update_registered_users

Anyone with recent experience on the current state of the game? Is this is a “well, we’re not finished but we’re finished” moment, if you know what I mean? Or does it feel like it’s in a pretty good spot?

I can’t speak to its current condition, but I can tell you it’s going to be in a much better spot when it leaves early access on August 11th. :)

-Tom

Tom is in the know! taps side of nose

Sorta glad they didn’t dump and run, as this I guess is the studio’s final game?

It is? Why?

I thought it was just his usual anti-early access bias. Wasn’t it?

They announced that they’re shutting down. Not sure how they shut down while also still working on a game, but whatever. I guess the early access sales for this game have been bad?

Here’s the next game from at least three of the folks from Abbey Games, who have formed a new studio called Roost Games:

In!

-Tom

Where/When did Abbey announce that they’re closing?

I know they scoped back to just the founders at the end of last year, but not seen anything about Abbey as a studio entity closing?

Quickly had a look at what’s in unstable-alpha branch. I do like how they are willing to significantly change up the mechanics if they’re finding that they’re not working!

And they’ve definitely added more decisions to make each turn now.

So it’s August 11th and the game has left early access! This comment had me intrigued; is there anything you can share now that it’s out, or were you just expressing a general sentiment towards games in Early Access?

I was going to pull the trigger until I read the developer’s comments on making the GUI scalable (can’t be done, supposedly). People playing on laptops are complaining about tiny, unreadable font.

Add in my weak eyesight, and that makes it a reluctant pass for me.

If you have weak eyesight, why are you gaming on a laptop? Reglardless, one bit of advice I might offer is you could invest in a decent/cheap 1080p 27" monitor ($150 would do it) and play games at 1080p on larger displays, even connected via laptop.