Gog 2014

Hmm, this must be why it wouldn’t accept my saved password in Firefox (which I have no memory of having changed) and I had to reset it yesterday or the day before. Weird.

DRM-free movies now on GOG.com.

The King of Arcades
Gamer Age
Pixel Poetry
Indie Game: The Movie
Art of Playing
TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away From Keyboard

They also have updated the appearance of their site (and changed their logo). It’s get a little getting used to…

GOG is removing a bunch of games and offering a last chance sale on them until Tuesday. Appears that they’re mostly Nordic Games titles (e.g., Gothic, Spellforce). Don’t see an explanation for why they’re being removed, though.

Anyone every play The Nations Gold? Seems like a The Settlers type game.

Pricing issues. Whatever GoG is doing to flatten the regional pricing borders, Nordic and a few others didn’t want to be part of it.

Lots of good stuff for a fair price in this sale.

I couldn’t get it to run under windows 7. That being said I don’t think I tried very hard either.

I saw some other people had trouble too. I guy said he had luck installing it outside of the Program Files folder. After looking more at it I’m unsure it is something I’d like a lot. Curious if anyone here has played it.

Are there any good card games on gog? I’ve heard something about Etherlords, but that doesn’t look much like a card game. Any others?

When you say card games are you looking for something like Spades or Euchre, or a CCG?

Not sure it matters, since GOG doesn’t really have any card games as far as I know.

Yeah, more like a CCG, or a deckbuilder like Ascension, or something like Spectromancer. I’ve heard about a single player Magic the Gathering game from the late 90s which was supposedly very good, and would be perfect, but it’s not on gog (or even anywhere else).

So, are the Black Mirror point and click adventures any good?

I’m probably going to pass on the Spellforce series and Desperadoes, because RTS is not at all my thing, though at the prices offered, I might just be tempted if they can be considered good.

Not on GOG, but free (and amazing) the Race to the Galaxy AI brings the card game to the PC.

Black Mirror II & III (by a different developer than one, and only picking up on the basics of the story much later) are OK, I guess. I mean, I enjoyed them, but I have a huge soft spot for dopey adventure games. I’d recommend The Lost Crown higher, which you can a Steam key from GMG for $4 right now.

FWIW, I liked Etherlords: it’s basically a HOMM clone, but with a card-based combat system (summon units, cast spells, etc.). No clue how well it holds up after a dozen years, though.

Desperados is Commandos in the wild west.

SpellForce was probably the only game which ever succesfully merged (action-)RPG with RTS. Especially the 2nd game is polished and entertaining, despite reducing complexity and being very mainstream. It was my favourite game that year. Original release for SF2 was in the same month as Oblivion.

Without having played them, I think the consensus in the adventure community seems to be that Black Mirror 1 is considered a minor classic while the other 2 games are quite solid.

Yuk. GOG does the trendy hip ‘let’s restyle like Windows 8’ thing. Boo. And even the traditional colours have gone!? And now the site does not work as fully as it used to, you can follow much of that discussion here:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/welcome_to_the_fresher_better_gogcom

And if you care to, please vote for having the old colours back (the green logo and favicon etc) here:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/restore_colour_to_the_gogcom_logo_on_the_top_navigation_bar

As for the other changes, like regional pricing and offering game/geek culture movies, sure why not. But why break your site at the same time? Must be some new ‘hot shots’ in the design team wanting to make their mark to justify their existence or something?

Get off my lawn!

Looks great to me.

Looks good to me, too. Then again, I’m generally not hanging around the site long enough to soak in the aesthetics. I perform a quick search for the game I want, vote for it in the community wishlist, then leave.