Gog 2016

That’s some solid adds, though I own most of them elsewhere (sometimes in physical disc form!).

But if you don’t own any of those games, I give them all solid thumbs up. Good old games indeed!

Nah, the steam versions don’t have DRM either (tried it a while ago with X-COM and TFDT, not sure about the other games…).

Guess I have to buy Freedom Force again. It is a shame they never got the chance at a third installment.

I always meant to play X-Com Interceptor. It came out during the days when I used to play every space sim, no matter how bad. But I was putting it off because they’d released a demo at the time, and I hated the demo.

I guess now that I have a huge backlog, and a dozen genres I follow, maybe I can let that one go.

How does the sequel compare to the original?? I liked what I played of the first game a lot.

I wish the folks at GOG would get their mitts on the Legend catalogue so we could play what was really the best superhero game - Superhero League of Hoboken.

The sequel was more of the same, so I think you’d like it too. Unless you’re a Nazi sympathizer.

Not just that: The Gateway adventure games (based on Frederick Pohl’s Heechee series) and one of my longed-for good old games, Mission Critical.

Was Mission Critical the one with Michael Dorn, or am I thinking of something else?

Yes, yes, all this.

Yup, sure was. Also had an AMAZING tactical space mini game in the middle of it, which is as far as I got.

Someone made adventure games set in Frederick Pohl’s Gateway universe? Whatwhatwhat? That was such a lonely, depressing set of books. I wonder how you can capture that atmosphere in an adventure game? I guess Telltale’s Walking Dead episodes have done a good job of that, so it is possible. I’d love to be able to check them out.

Sure did.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/gateway-series

The Gateway games did have kind of a tone of overwhelming loneliness to them… but at the same time most adventure games where you wandered around and explored some forgotten place by yourself felt that way at the time!

Hey guys, go vote for the Gateway games on the GOG community wishlist! Can’t hurt!

System Shock 2 got a little update today on GOG.

Patch 2.45 ND (04 April 2016)
additive blending enabled for all explosion effects (makes the explosions NOT look terrible)
enabled FSAA by default (smooth edges)
enabled new mantle (smooth climbing)
enabled buffer limit (reduce lag)
made autosaves and quicksaves NOT overwrite one another (reduces chances of people who forget to save losing progress)
enabled subtitles, fogging and weather effects (may be required by mods or fan missions)
made sure all cutscenes are scaled properly
added one dml that makes sure the “reach Rickenbacker” quest completes properly (dml fixing is usually SS2tool exclusive, but made an exception for this one, as broken quests are a big no-no)
removed the DataPermMods quick modfolder (as this is now a sureproof way of busting your SS2 install - you will have to get the modmanager or SS2tool to mod the game safely)

And finally: Requiem!

There’s a sale on Interplay games. It amuses me that there is still such a thing as zombie Interplay. A bunch of suits sitting on intellectual property, trying to make money from old properties created by people long ago. “Let’s put it on sale today”.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is finally on GOG.

Finally!! Time for another playthrough it looks like.