GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New

Tom Vs Bruce playing Combat Mission 2 in pdf format from Computer Gaming World, April 2003.

Starts on page 136.

Bruce wins.

Chosen wisely gif.

So, apparently I’m going to be given Hellfire for free since I bought Diablo from GoG. So i don’t have to be tempted by it anymore.

I have the CD roms, but I just bought CM: B2B and CM: AK so fast…just for the laptop…

Tempted by Hellfire, how apropos.

Just bought Diablo. Finally after 20 years of wanting to play Hellfire I will play Hellfire.

Haha - it wasn’t long ago that Steve from Battlefront was fuming that CM:BO was being sold on GOG and was going to get it taken down. Maybe they are slowly coming to the same realisation Matrix did some years ago that having titles available on storefronts other than your incredibly niche site that no-one knows about leads to sales!

Who woulda thunk. I remember that conversation too. Haven’t bought anything from Battlefront since.

Yeah, whatever Steve Grammont thinks he’s doing with his ‘attitude’ and ‘style’ probably isn’t working like he thinks it is. I personally have not bought a lot of their games largely because of him, I doubt I’m alone.

Diablo 1 is still a fun way to kill an hour or so at the end of the night.

It sure is. I already had three characters going, now I have the monk going in Hellfire.

Also, I heard you can play as the Barbarian in Hellfire somehow? Do you have to unlock that character?

I got an email from GOG saying “Overwhelmed by deals? Browse by price”. Great! GOG finally fixed their crappy price filtering that uses original rather than discounted price. It’s totally useless. Well, of course they didn’t – they’re GOG. I mean, why not willingly lose potentially millions of dollars in sales because you can’t write 10 lines of code over 10 years?

Then I thought about Galaxy 2.0. It’s a bad joke. These GOG guys are the least competent and slowest programmers around. To think that they’d be able to make a good product that can serve as a front-end to all other services is completely absurd. I hope to be proven wrong, but Playnite is safe and secure IMO.

Playnite didn’t work that well for me. After it seemed to forget my logins for Origin and one other, I just gave up.

To be fair, Origin forgets my Origin credentials from time to time.

Yeah, every time there’s an update, Origins makes me remember my credentials again, which basically means resetting my password again.

I think GOG and their community are the only storefront that does work of this nature:

That is one of the reasons I try to buy older games exclusively from GOG.

They never fixed I76 though, and I’m still a little sore about it.

This is a pretty great sale, especially in comparison to the comparitively weak discounts GOG had historically. So far I’ve picked up Pillars of Eternity II and Megaquarium. I may end up skipping the Steam sale entirely after this.

A classic 1996 release from Activision, courtesy of Sierra’s back-catalogue, today in the form of turn-based big stompy mechs of the non-BattleTech kind.