GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New

I hope the game holds up better than HTML from 2000.

https://www.quartertothree.com/features/odium_sw/odium_sw_1.shtml

Thank for the tip!

OMG, that’s an SHTML file!

Also, I’m glad they managed to fix the compatibility issues. Wishlisted!

Now they need to make Shadow Watch (the actually superior game) work better with new versions of Windows!

Oh.

Edit: Posted same time as Rhamorim, haha. In other words, yay for more classic strategy releases!

While I did play games in the Warlords Battlecry series, I never played any of the original turn-based Warlords games. Are they as good as I’ve heard? Have they aged well, I wonder?

Holy shitsnacks Darklords Rising.

Warlords 2 was fine when I played it on the Mac, but I don’t see me getting back to its dated interface. Darklords Rising is supposed to be amazing but had annoying issues getting it to run on modern OS, so if it’s a proper effort, I’m looking forward to trying it!

Funny they are published by Slitherine.

Darklords Rising is the best in the series, hands down.

I know @KristiGaines is a big Warlords 2 fan, this may or may not interest her.

As for me, “Oh” simply does not cut it.

I’ve been wanting this game on GOG for years. Here are just a couple places I’ve mentioned it over the last decade on Qt3.

"Good Old Games" - #2813 by kerzain
RIP Good Old Games (gog.com) - #625 by kerzain
In Need of a Turn Based Strategy Fix - #16 by kerzain
GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New - #3 by kerzain
Your favorite game and why you think it got canceled/died - #126 by kerzain
Games No Longer Being Sold (Digitally) - #22 by kerzain

And now I has it! HA HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Darklords Rising runs GREAT. I am SHOCKED at this, because last time I tried to get my CD copy to run it was a pain in the butt. Now I have to read the manual to remember how to play it. Odd that GOG doesn’t include a copy of it in PDF form. Or anything else, really.

🙈🙊🙉 too much work today why did I look at this?!

Warlords I is the best. Fight Club!

re: Warlords 3: DLR Manual
They haven’t added a link to it on the store page yet, but you get a PDF copy of the original print manual after you install the game. It’s in the Warlords 3 directory by default.

I don’t think this part is still valid though.

Red Orb Zone Red Orb Zone from Red Orb Entertainment™ can be installed on your drive to help you easily meet other Darklords Rising players for combat. A maximum of four players can play from Red Orb Zone. If you have problems running Red Orb Zone, see pages 74-75

I wish, with all the remakes happening, we could get one of the Warlords Battlecry games. It was a fun RTS, especially with how resources worked (except the elves).

Holy shit W3 DLR.

I’m trying to remember if Warlords 3 had a true turn based mode. It’s been a long time but my memory is that although I loved Warlords 1 and 2, I hated the bastardized “simultaneous turns” / Real-Time system in Warlords 3. Was that optional?

Oh man, Warlords is a series that is close to my heart. Loved those games so much.

In 1992 I got my first real professional IT job. One of my first projects with the company was to roll out Windows 3.1 to all the office computers around the holidays that year. Since I was low guy on the department hierarchy, that meant I got to babysit all the installs and tap the appropriate keys when prompted (no such thing as imaging and deployment software in 1992!). It was a lot of staring at screens and flipping floppy disks. I had a workbench set up in the datacenter, and I built a 286 machine and brought in my well worn copy of Warlords from home and loaded it so I could play while babysitting installs. There were some nights I didn’t leave until 10:00pm or later because even though I’d finished the machines for the day by 7:30 or so, I couldn’t stop playing just one more turn in Warlords.

Warlords 3 : Reign of Heroes was an insta-buy for me the day it came out. I remember there being some sort of issues with the early retail copies of the game, and I remember submitting several support requests to SSG. As a result, SSG sent me Darklords Rising for free when it released. Darklords Rising was the highlight of the series, an incredible game that I probably played for 200+ hours over several years. It was one of those games that you reinstalled every so often because nothing else could scratch the itch.

So happy to see these get the GOG treatment! Looking forward to basking in the nostalgia.

(Pours another one out for SSG’s Ian Trout)

Oh good to know!

Is anyone having any luck getting Warlords 3 to play in the proper aspect ratio? (4:3, which means it won’t fill your screen?) I can’t get it to start without stretching to fill the screen.