GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New

Glad to hear it doesn’t sound as dire as initially rumored.

Someone I knew that was very successful once described profit as the very small number between two very large numbers. Though he reinvested nearly everything into his company which once was the largest private employer in Miami Dade County.

Good to hear. I have some complaints about GOG but I like them being around. A good service.

Looks like Slay the Spire has just released on GOG for those that want a DRM-free version.

https://www.gog.com/game/slay_the_spire

I don’t know. Clearing less than 8 grand on $34M in revenue sounds pretty dire to me.

Oh shoot! I was reading fast and (or misread) and initially thought it was 8M net profit on 34M revenue. 8k is worrisome in that context. Thanks for noting that and correcting me. Okay, back to worrying. :-(

Hope 2019 looks brighter for them.

If someone has never played a Settlers game and was considering buying one during the GOG sale, which game should they buy? Settlers IV looks like it was the most popular but that is based on a quick look at the GOG reviews, FWIW.

I also would like to know which one is best. I thought one of them had some account creation weirdness?

Also this was fun and very Settlers like just fyi. Not on sale tho.

And this is why it’s important for our game sellers to have good profit margins. 2019 can only look worse for GOG given the industry pressure to reduce their cut. Having healthy profit margins means the companies can weather bad years, which is in our interest, since we don’t want to lose our game collections. Customers are really on the opposite end of this wrt developers, and the only way that will change is if we get a ‘play anywhere’ type license for a game.
EDIT: Alternatively, we can shift to a no-ownership streaming license, but that will only be worse for developers. As of right now, I am effectively an investor in GOG and Steam.

https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle

Be careful with IV as one of the top reviews says that it might not run on Windows 10 (or 8.1). I own it and could test later tonight after work and report back if there is interest.

Across the wider web there seems to be a consensus that Settlers II is a favorite. It is a strong foundation for the series but will probably appeal more to nostalgia-heads then someone coming in fresh in 2019. There is an updated Settlers II 10th Anniversary Edition that updated the title to 2006 standards and graphics so that might appeal.

My personal favorite and one of the best of the series is Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom. Sadly, that isn’t available on GOG at this time.

If you want to check out Settlers now (especially 7) Ubisoft recently released The Settlers History Collection. which includes all 7 Settlers games with gameplay updates, support for 4K, dual monitors, and multiplayer. That is on sale on for $19.99 now on the UPlay store which might be worth looking at despite not being on GOG or DRM-free. You can also buy individual ‘History Collection’ titles if you don’t want the whole series.

My favorite is Settlers 7. The aesthetic is gorgeous, soundtrack is amazing, and the gameplay is so finely tuned it shouldn’t be legal. I do wish it was on GOG. Though there is fun to be had with nearly any Settlers game.

Ah man, Warcraft used to be such a cool universe before WoW.

And since I’ve never played WOW, it still is a cool universe! But mostly one I think about nostalgically, since they haven’t made a new game in like decades.

My only exposure to Warcraft was the Warcraft 3 campaign, which I thought was terrible. The orc campaign was the only one with a remotely likable character.

I remember playing the Wacraft I demo way back when, might have been on my Mac. But Warcraft II is the game that hooked me deeply into RTS’s and the Warcraft lore. I played the bejeezus out of it, single-player and multiplayer. Lots of weekend LAN parties, playing WCII with friends until the sun came up. Good times.

Bought! Thanks for the heads-up!

I’ve been waiting a long time for a version of WarCraft that will run on new systems.

“Your sound card is working perfectly!”

Ohhh, apparently Warcraft 2 supports MIDI. Gotta check that out.

Those reviews are old. The game’s been updated since then and works fine on Windows 10.