GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New

Thanks for the update, I was curious myself since GOG has been fairly good at addressing this stuff.

Cheers! I snagged Settlers 7 off Uplay. $7.50 seems a good price.

Settlers 7 is excellent. Gives off a bit of a boardgame dynamic which I like very much.

I am fairly certain that Settlers 7 has been perennially installed on my PC since release in 2010. In fact, I probably have both the original release and History Collection editions dual-installed right now (which is somewhat redundant).

Yeah, this is awesome. I just played the first few missions in the Human campaign, and it’s like I’m back in my late 20’s playing it for the first time. By today’s standards, it’s so, so bad. Almost none of the QoL improvements exist here that RTSs have become known for. You can only move 4 units at a time, and there’s no control groups! It’s also so slow. But man, I’m so happy to be replaying this!

Thanks @JoshoB and @AntediluvianArk. I decided to go with Anno 1404 Gold Edition as my one GOG Spring Sale purchase. Banished left me cold, so I’ll see if this satisfies my wish to find a city builder that is immersive without demanding too much of a learning curve.

Cheers.

Exact same! WC2 was my one of my all-time favorites I’ve wanted to go back to for years, and at one point spent a good amount of time trying to get it to work on a newer PC, ending in failure and disappointment. Now I can go back to entertaining everyone with “Job’s done!” whenever I make a sandwich, pick my nose, open a door for a stranger, flush a toilet, etc. Everyone will surely love that!

Still saying this 22 years later. It is engrained in my brain.

Freeman Guerilla Warfare was recently added to GOG.

Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare is set in a chaos filled world occupied by battling factions, bandits and warlords who seek to rule the world. The game is about your career as a faction leader: Start with minimal assets, you need to make money, build an army, wage wars against other factions and eliminate your rival forces with thoughtful strategies and fine marksmanship and eventually conquer the world. The game provides a completely different shooter experience which strikes a balance between intense first-person action and general strategy. The game’s innovative combat system blends tactical FPS with real-time strategy, allowing you to command an army, plan for tactics in the God view, while immersing in the intense firefight as a foot soldier, in the first person perspective.

Finally, a Half Life spin off about Gordon Freeman’s half-brother.

So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.

That reminds me to check out Freeman again. I like the premise, but last time I tried it, it was pretty bare bones with some pitiful AI.

Wow.

Hitman Absolution is $4.99 and Hitman Blood Money is $2.49 right now. Great sale prices.

How do these two entries stand up for non-lethal play-throughs?

You know, “hitman” and “non-lethal” aren’t really all that compatible. ;)

That said, in most (or all) missions you can avoid killing anyone but the target. In fact, the best possible outcome is making it look like the target died by accident.

OMG Blood Money. Bought.
Also bought Absolution because it was cheap enough. I stayed away from Absolution because I never heard much good about it, but at 5 bucks I’ll give it a shot. If I don’t like it, I’ll just pretend I spent $7.50 on Blood Money.

GOG needs to incorporate some kind of an optional tip jar into each purchase.
My ability to contribute would vary quite a bit with each purchase, but in general, I would be happy to throw them a few bucks with each purchase, especially during sales, which is mostly when I buy anyway.

You could just Google their address and send them some Steam gift cards or something with a pizza or food basket.

And that’s with a 30% cut. Imagine if they only charged 12% …

My fear is that the Epic Store is going to crush GOG, since obviously they can’t compete with Epic without losing a shitton of money (Iike Epic does with their store).