GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New

Neither did I. Grabbed it the moment I saw it.

I had installed GOG’s other version years ago, but IIRC it ran really kind of wonky on my system for whatever reason. My other Build Engine games ran all right, but Blood had a problem.
edit: Come to think of it, Redneck Rampage may have run even worse. In fact, Blood may have run all right. My memory is failing!

But I’m happy to report that I’ve installed the Nightdive version today, and it runs flawlessly and looks great.

I was ready to happily drop the $10 (I think that’s already like half of what Nightdive was asking for their Turok games, right?), but when I saw it automatically discounted me 50% for having the old version, I couldn’t click the buy button fast enough.

Brief gameplay video:

This video shows some problems with this version but to be honest, I never noticed any of this during my brief excursion today, so possibly I let my rose-colored glasses get in my way.

That guy knows all the secrets!

Right? I was even looking for secrets earlier today, and could only find a fraction of what that guy did.

For instance, I never thought to get atop the fence, from where I could access that upper window…
etc., etc.
So many, just in that first tiny area!

Blood is also cock-hard, easily the hardest of the Build engine games.

Worth it for cultists on fire, screaming, though.

Spec Ops: The Line is now available on GOG, with a launch discount of 80% off. Additionally, other 2K Games on GOG are having a week-long sale as well, with deals likes XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack (Modern X-Com) for 80% off.

Wow great discount right out of the gate. Thanks for noting this release.

Time for a couple of classic Disney releases now, along with a Disney themed sale to accompany it. Today marks the release of Disney’s Hercules and Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow on GOG, with launch discounts of 15%.

GOG will soon be launching Galaxy 2.0

Your Games.

• Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.
  • Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.
  • Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.
  • Follow upcoming releases and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.
    Your Friends. * Bring together your friends from all platforms and see their online status.
    • No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.
    • See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games.
    • See who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing.
      Your Privacy. * Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.
    • We’re not spying on data from your computer.
    • With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

Well holy cow.

I have no gaming friends, so does this actually do anything for people like me? I’m not expecting to play Xbox and Nintendo games on this thing, so I’m not really sure what the hell they’re talking about besides social features.

Same. Tbh it feels like a solution for a problem I dont have.

Shame they could have gone open platform like itch and to a lesser extend Steam (anyone can upload and sell) and removed their social features and it would have been far more exciting to me. Probably it would have been less work for them too.

But good luck to em I guess, they presumably have data that other people want this kind of thing.

Sure, the friends cross-platform tracking/chat thing isn’t for me, but isn’t this saying it can essentially bring your entire game library altogether into one app automagically? That seems a pretty big thing to me. GOG would become the go-to for seeing what games I own if I can literally see everything in one place. No more mistakenly purchasing something on one launcher/platform that I already own on another that’s hidden in my backlog.

As long as it doesn’t peer in my trousers I’m fine with this

I’m hoping the development costs of Galaxy 2.0 are the main source of GOG’s slimmer profit margin last fiscal year; and I hope this gamble pays off for them this year.

I am intrigued about the concept of one client to rule them all. I hope the importing and linking works well, since that seems like quite a complex infrastructure and undertaking.

If I may -

And

I am sure one of these applies.

I appreciate GOG’s efforts, as I will find some of these new features helpful. But it seems like a money sink to build and maintain, and do enough people want it?

Did that stop Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Epic, Twitch, Bethesda, ActiBlizzard…

I have a Microsoft account because it’s sorta required to run Windows and I owned a Windows Phone. Not sure about the others.

To be fair this is touting itself as the one to gobble up all those other ones, but Playnite already exists, seems fairly mature in its development cycle and it’s open source.
Holy shit am I ready to jump ship on anything that requires an account at this point, though. One more reason to stay on 7 forever!