GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New

I think GOG has a few advantages: DRM-free games and support for old games, many of which can only be bought on the GOG store. That might not be enough to run a profit, but they’re also a part of CD Projekt, so I expect they’ll be okay for now. Epic probably cannot keep doing what they’re doing indefinitely, either?

CDP have around 150 million USD in the bank and it stands to reason that Cyberpunk will be possibly even more successful than Witcher 3. So yeah as long as GOG is in the black (even by few meager thousand), I think it is safe. Having it is too convenient for CDP, not just to further the DRM-free concept, but to sell their own games with 100% cut.

Epic of course has who knows how many billions in the bank, so they could starve the competiton for a long time if they wanted.

I heard rumors that GOG’s margin was so thin because they were reinvesting a lot into the back end infrastructure and MP components of their service last year. Not sure if that’s true, but it might offer one explanation.

Personally, I’ve been buying much more from GOG this year and trying to use them over Steam for newer games when given the choice. I really hope this is a better year for them.

Yes, ordered Bloodlines directly from them. They are always my first choice.

They’re a publicly traded ecommerce company. A much better gauge of their financial health than the bottom line on the back page is cash on hand and share price. The Amazon model. Not saying those things paint a rosier picture, but that’s where I’d cast my eyes if I were worried about the health of the company.

I want to, but then I feel like I am locked into GoG for all future DLCs.

That’s probably the worst thing about Steam. If the game has DLCs, I know I have several vendors that probably will sell keys for the DLCs.

How does GoG fight that? How does Epic or anyone else?

You nailed the problem on the head right there. Unless GOG (or Epic Games or whoever) starts allowing keys for its store to be resold, there’s a lock-in (unless you want to wait two or three years for a GotY/Definitive edition to come out, then wait for an übersale on Steam or one of its key resellers).

Or, GoG and Epic could start price matching, but someone told me that isn’t good for the customers. Not sure how.

To be fair, GOG does offer frequent and fairly deep discounts, so I don’t think this is much of a problem?

I prefer to buy from GOG and try to avoid Steam as much as possible. GOG offers more in my opinion, especially the ability to back up my games on my own HD.

Nah, I price track religious, and in the end, the key resellers (the legit ones like humble bundle or Gamergate) almost always beat the prices on GoG or even steam. On top of that Steam usually has those bundles that gives you extra discounts for owning some of the games if you willing to buy the set.

Sniper Elite V2 Remastered edition is up for preorder on GOG. Releases May 14.

https://www.gog.com/game/sniper_elite_v2_remastered

New Features included in this Remaster…

• All DLC Included – Experience the infamous “ASSASSINATE THE FÜHRER” mission. Take the fight to new fronts in three new campaign levels. Hunt your foes with a variety of iconic weapons including the Lee Enfield MK III, M1D Garrand, M1 Carbine and more.

• Photo Mode – Pause and step through the action frame-by-frame, position the camera, apply a filter, adjust the lighting and take stunning photos to share with the community. Including your epic X-Ray kill camera shots.

• Remastered Visuals - Modernised renderer and post processing effects, enhanced level geometry, textures and particles, plus a revamped lighting system, and 4K support transports you to the front line.

• New Playable Characters – For the first time, play the campaign and multiplayer modes as one of 7 new characters from Rebellion’s Zombie Army series.

• Multiplayer & Co-op – Gather your squad and compete in 7 uniquely tense multiplayer modes, now for up to 16 players online*. Including Deathmatch, Distance King, Dogtag Harvest and Capture the Flag.

Time for that annual Star Wars sale that occurs around May the 4th, which will be lasting for a week on GOG. This year it also happens to be accompanied by the release of the original Star Wars: Battlefront (the 2004 classic) on GOG.

Only 65% off. I’ll pass

OMG I never picked up X-Wing Alliance at GOG!!

/shocked Pikachu face

GREAT NEWS ACE

I mean, I have it on CD. I’m not totally fucking clueless.

CDs? Hah! Who still uses those?!

(Okay I do, a lot, because I still load up a lot of old games that aren’t digitally available yet BUT STILL buy it on GOG dangit.)

Oh shit! Good call!

I’m the same way, I had it on CD. But one of the CDs went bad, so over the years, when I tried to replay the campaign, there was a spot on CD 2 that always made the game crash.

Edit: I bought X-wing Alliance, and Episode 1: Racer, and on PS4: Racer’s Revenge ($3.49).
And I also bought the Psychonauts VR game for some reason, even though I don’t own PSVR.

Good time to buy XWA, too, as the XWA Upgrade came out with a new release only about a month ago.

Didn’t know this was coming.

Blood: Fresh Supply is on GOG! An enhanced edition of Blood: One Unit Whole Blood. $9.99 standard price and $4.99 if you already own the original Blood on GOG.

Blood: Fresh Supply Enhancements:

• Updated using Nightdive Studio’s KEX Engine
  • Vulkan, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3.2 support, play with unlocked framerates!
  • Antialiasing, Ambient Occlusion, V-sync and Interpolation support
  • Support for high resolutions including 4K monitors
  • Fully customizable keyboard and controller pad support
  • Extended modding support, including support for already existing mods
  • Completely rewritten netcode supports up to 8 players:
  • Play online in co-operative mode, kill each other in “Bloodbath” or split the difference in classic 4v4 team-based “Capture The Flag” mayhem
  • Battle it out in local split-screen action
  • Roll your own soundtrack with full CD and MIDI music support
  • Look fully up and down with a new 3D view, or stick with the classic BUILD-engine style!