Goodbye Tolkien, hello Tales of Maj’Eyal (ToME)

Yeah, I’ve got the ToME funbux sitting there ready for it as well (the email even had a comment about such), but I’m still waiting to hear if the DLC is worth it. Would be a good reason to jump back into the game, which I haven’t spent much time on but have enjoyed.

Wooo! Finally won my first game! Burch the Cornac Cursed was victorious. Then got into a bad death loop with Atamathon. Oh well. Wooo!

Edit: here is my character.
http://te4.org/characters/108490/tome/8360ccf3-3e2a-4302-9547-745f867e10e9

Congrats!! Lemme guess, Rampage build?

Yup. Rampage and anti-magic. Very fun class. Now I’m thinking what to follow it up with.

Hey, keep us posted. I love hearing about tomeventures. Why not give a Yeek a try?

Hello, just got this in a ridiculous Humble Bundle. I know nothing about it other than its a rougelike and folks love it. Should I read up somewhere in this thread, or on some other site, or just dive in?

It’s dive-inable, particularly if you have roguelike experience, but you might want to read up a bit. I listed some tips upthread, and you can find plenty of guides on the net, too. For a starting class I recommend a Bulwark of some kind, they’re forgiving and quite strong.

Agreed. Dive in. I would take a berserker just because they’re a little simpler for a first game. Doesn’t matter. You’re going to die anyway. Try a few different things and then pike around the forums. It took me a year to win my first game.

Hey, so the new patch just dropped, and there’s been a complete rework of the two Chronomancy classes and a partial rework of the Wyrmic. My first trip has been with a Shalore Temporal Warden. Uhhh…wow. You are the utter master of mobility, can effortlessly switch between dual wielding and bow powers, summon alternate versions of yourself to gang up on the enemy, loose the TIME DOGS on them…

They are, in a word, amazing. Oh, and the game has a Time Stop spell now. Of course it does.

Give it a shot!

I’ve been really enjoying this since picking it up last week. My best run so far has been with a Cormac Berserker who made it up to lvl 13ish. I’ve even managed to unlock the summoner class. A quick question! Once you’ve over-leveled the starting dungeons, is it worth going and doing the other starting areas? I went into one and it let me skip straight down the the last map. Is the xp so negligible that its not even worth doing? I’m looking forward to trying out more of the classes and seeing what else I can unlock.

So you get a disproportionate amount of experience from boss kills. True of both dungeon bosses and the random bosses you can encounter all over the place. This disparity isn’t nearly as big as it used to be (a good change). But Dungeon bosses always drop uniques (or it’s like 99%). So it’s worth going to kill them just to see what they drop.

Also, IIRC, once you make it to the other continent and then make it back, all the first dungeons respawn with new bosses / monsters around your level.

The game has a CONTINGENCY spell now. The greatest spell of all time (of all time!)

Thanks guys, good stuff to know. I haven’t even gotten near clearing the first area, but knowing that the dungeons do a reset at some point is cool.

Not all, but many. Most of the “significant” ones (e.g. the 4 main tier 2 dungeons, Dreadfell, Trollmire, several others). Also, I think the bosses are not guaranteed to spawn.

Woah, cool. I need to start playing again.

Also, it’s not a full reset, I believe. There are additional bosses (worth killing I might add) but not additional monsters.

That’s right. It has “occasional” random monsters popping up if memory serves. But they’re pretty infrequent (and that’s true of most “cleared” levels).

This game is now on a 66% off sale on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680

Got this ages ago (somehow), and only now decided to click play. What a great game!

What is everyone’s favourite classes? I am really enjoying the summoner.

My favorite class is the cursed. I also like the alchemist.