Google salutes Pac-Man's 30th

Check out Google’s banner today. It’s a salute to Pac-Man on its 30th birthday.

That is playable.

Multiplayer.

With Ms. Pac-Man as player 2.

That is so cool! Thanks for the heads up. I never see the Google banner anymore because of iGoogle.

That is the coolest thing ever.

How do you get the 2nd player going?

Press Insert Coin again while it’s running.

Ah – I didn’t even notice the insert coin button; if you just leave the page up for a few seconds, it jumps right into the single player.

I can add this game to my finished pile.

Ha! Awesome.

I wondered why clicking on the picture did not make me google pacman. Instead it is actually playable? super cool

I think the world’s productivity just dropped!

Unless you made it to the level 256 kill screen, you haven’t finished it.

EDIT: Right-clicking and doing “View background image” while playing is kind of interesting.

Man, it’s hard to believe that Empire Strikes Back and Pac-Man were released in the same year. Also released that year was the classic 4-switch wood-panel Atari console that most of us think about when we think Atari (the previous version was all black with 6 switches up front) and a ton of great games for the system including Space Invaders (which is credited with nearly doubling the sales of new consoles that year).

1980 was AWESOME! What a great time to be 9-10 years old!

The Google Pac-Man is pretty nifty. I still find cornering in that game to be my doom.

Stupid corners.

And don’t get me started on early 80s video game nostalgia because I have my rose-colored glasses at the ready! I was the master at Video Pinball. I had friends grow up and move out of the neighborhood while I was still playing the same round.

Our MIS department is furious. They can’t turn Google off, and the tiny bit of resources it takes to load it does add up. I imagine there are quite a few companies that are torqued about this.

They’re not competent enough to block the specific JS file that implements the game, eh?

I didn’t know people still went to google.com to look up stuff. There’s so many other alternative ways now.

I loaded Google up today and completely forgot what I wanted to search for.

Brilliant!

Actually, nobody does anymore. At all. It’s why they went out of business a couple of months ago. I’m surprised you didn’t see it, it was big news. SNL had a funny bit about it. Me, I exclusively use cuil.

They are, but the cost/benefit isn’t quite flipping the switch.

(Yes, I realize that something like that should be relatively easy and cheap to do, but after a certain seat count, this sort of process becomes a 24hr SLA whiteboard project with tracking and AAR.)