Goonsquad investigating murder

Dexter would keep quiet.

You don’t know what QT3 is?

SoMa and Market areas of SF scare the crap out of me. I feel quite safe in North Beach, and it looks like I’ll (hopefully) have an apartment in the Richmond / Seacliff area next month (providing I have a job in SF).

Getting the hell out of Cowtown, ftw.

They also have the Forever Ban, which is banned until Duke Nukem Forever comes out. It’s not seen too often anymore (mostly because it’s not really funny), but I’ve seen a few recent instances of it.

I love the Hellban, though. Nobody has any idea that it happened, and there’s no way for you to tell. Just… nobody ever responds to your posts or your threads, because they can’t see them.

I don’t see how it’s a money grab. You really have to work at it to get banned nowadays. Besides, the strict Stalinization of the forums means that there’s considerably less catchphrasery and ancient memes being reposted for the three millionth time in comparison to pretty much any other forum.

As for the acronyms I used:
FYAD = Fuck You And Die, which used to be the “cool kids” subforum. Posting in FYAD actually decrements your post counter by one for each post, so people with positive postcounts were looked down on. It is (or was) immune to many of the rules in effect on the rest of the forums, and should be considered NWS by default.

GBS = General Bullshit, the SA equivalent of QT3’s Everything Else.

SA Mart = The forum marketplace, designed for goons to buy and sell goods and services. It was set up mainly because of the amount of bitching over how people had been ripped off at EBay and other such sites. Scamming users in SA Mart will earn you a permaban.

Goon = a poster on the Something Awful forums. It has it’s roots in an angry ALOD webmaster complaining that Lowtax had sent his “goons” after him.

ALOD = Awful link of the day

Well, I’m still here (OooOOOOOoOoOOOOOoooOOOo)

Sorry, Bill, I had to let the FBI know about your hooker “farm.”

I told you, you should have kept letting me use it.

Oh, grow up.

You post more often than you have something to say.

Just for clarification, that hand grenade bumper sticker I’m seeing more frequently is a Goon, right?

At the shelter I volunteer at we get community service “volunteers” who opt to shovel dog shit and clean out kennels instead of picking up trash alongside the freeway, and one of the recent volunteers had a large hand grenade sticker on the back of his beat up truck.

If it looks like this, yes.

Bill is grown up. After all he clearly played Ultima Online, which was published in 1967.

The only opinion I can really muster about this whole story is that damn that is one butt-ugly dude.

If you think about that long enough, you’ll never hear David Bowie’s Fashion the same way again.

/beep, beep

I’ve never surfed over to the SA forums. Hell I didn’t even know it was a pay based forum. But after hearing your description it sounds something like a cross between QT3 and 4chan for folks that own a credit card. Probably a mix of heavily meme’d threads with actual content and discussion on the low side. I’ll pass. My guess is the threads there cater more to the 18-25ish crowd?

I’m just an old codger that loves gaming …

You don’t need a credit card to browse SA, or else i wouldn’t browse it :P

There are a lot of retards throughout SA but if you keep yourself to just a few forums like Games (also anime and comics for me) there is nothing to worry about.

You want to give me some pointers, Mr. Maturity?

Yeah, that was the real Summer of Love.

Large heavily moderated forums are certainly better than large non-moderated forums, simply because the signal/noise drops too far to be worthwhile. But given a choice between actually paying for a freakin’ forum and sticking to smaller forums that don’t need moderation like this one, the choice is obvious.

I filled my stupid thread quota. I feel no shame.