Grammar Nazis: Drivers Ed or Driver's Ed?

So, which is it?

Drivers Ed
or
Driver’s Ed

Grammatically, I believe it should be Driver’s Ed (possessive), however, common usage might come into play here…

What say you?

Are you the only one in the class?

(I agree with you on ‘Driver’s Ed’, actually.)

I would say it’s “Drivers’ Ed”.

Is it education possessed by a driver, or education for drivers?

• Alan

Drivers’ Ed when referring to the institution, Driver’s Ed when referring to a single person’s activity.

Troy

Can you give an example of when you would say “Driver’s Ed?” Like, “He got some driver’s ed by reading the state driving handbook.” If that’s what you mean, then I agree.

Troy has the more complete answer.

Dry Verse Said.

Without the apostrophe, drivers education uses “drivers” as a noun modifier, much like “bus stop” or “court appointment.” In that case, it should probably be the singular “driver education.”

With the apostrophe, it becomes a possessive, and then the issue is whether you mean education for a single driver or for drivers as a group/collective.

• Alan

Qt3 never fails.

I’m going with Drivers’ Ed (plural possessive).

I’ve always heard it as simply “Driver Education.” Not sure where you guys are getting all these esses!

This is what I would have thought as well.

I lament the death of apostrophes in our culture. When the Ladies’ Man movie came out (not that anybody noticed its release), it had the nonsensical title “The Ladies Man.” Are we really so dim as a culture that we can’t handle a plural possessive?

If you lament, you must read Eats, Shoots and Leaves, assuming you haven’t already.

My personal bugaboo is when people put apostrophes where they shouldn’t be; particularly for plurals (i.e. “The book’s are over there by the paper’s.”). Grrrrrrrr…

I would say that you are all a bunch of Grammar Nazi’s.

It’s too much trouble to hit the apostrophe key when typing, so I don’t bother, except for words like “don’t” and “it’s” and “I’m”, which I’m programmed to type correctly whether I want to or not.

“Drivers ed”, though, pfffftttt.

Here’s some extra apostrophes for you all to strew amongst your posts as you see fit. I wont be needing them.

‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’

Saints Row, not Saint’s Row!

This reminds me of Special Ed…

HEIL COMMA!

Why don’t we just call it Car School?

Fixted.